No spark in cyl. 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No spark in cyl. 1

About 4 years ago, my Buell Lightning was stolen. A good friend of mine had a 79 xs1100 sitting in his garage for a few years before that and told me that if I could get it running, it was mine. I FINALLY got around to working on it this summer. I've cleaned the carbs three times, rebuilt the brake calipers, new tires, new battery, new fuel lines, spark plugs, etc., but I'm still stuck. I've got no spark in #1 cylinder. The bike runs, I can ride around the block, but obviously not very well. When I pulled the plugs, #1 looked almost new. Still shiny. The rest look like they should.
    I'm in Massachusetts. I can almost see the end of the riding season. Any ideas?

Sounds like a fuel issue to me, especially if the plug isnt wet. You can verify its not ignition by swapping the #1 and #4 plug wires. If it still isnt firing on #1 then clean that carb. If it follows the wire then you know its ignition...
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

open a drain in a bowl in #1 and make sure you have gas in it, might be float stuck...did you set all floats to correct height? my.02
      Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

If there is no spark in just one cylinder it's more than likely a plug wire or plug cap issue. Check that the cap is getting good contact with the wire, it just screws on the end of the wire. Cut about 1/4" off the end and screw it back in there.

I don't remember the ohm values but go ahead and ohm out the cap while you have it off also.

Someone here can give the resistance values for the caps.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Cap alone, if stock, should be 5,000 ohms. The 2 caps per coil would then equal 10,000 ohms.

Coil, spark plug wire to spark plug air without caps, should be 15,000 ohms.

Small wire going into the coil should be 1.5 ohms.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

No Spark?

I also had this problem with a '79 Special. Number one pipe was cold, but there was spark. Turned out to be the float in number one carburetor-no fuel at the bowl drain. Replaced the float and it became an XS1100 again.

MP
            1981 XS1100H Venturer
            K&N Air Filter
            ACCT
            Custom Paint by Deitz
            Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
            Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
            Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
            Stebel Nautilus Horn
            EBC Front Rotors
            Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

No spark would leave a wet spark plug, no fuel would leave a 'like new' looking plug.
              '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Originally posted by steeldrummerj View Post
                When I pulled the plugs, #1 looked almost new. Still shiny. The rest look like they should.
                that's why I say it's fuel...
                Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

If there's no spark and no ignition there won't be any carbon buildup.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                  X