running woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running woes

ok now i am at a loss what to do. runs great most of the time but other times it runs like its starving for fuel. spits and spuders sometimes i can down shift it and it comes right out of it.. changed out plugs and no change. in fact i drove it home from work thursday morning and it died during the ride home. not sure if its the cdi or something else i should be looking at.
    1980 xs1100 sg.

not sure what model bike u have
    (wont hurt to add it in ur signature)
    but could be possible broken pick up coil wires
    there heaps of threads if u do a quick search.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Yeah, without doing a little more studying and inspecting on things it could be quite a list of problems from the description. Here's a few questions to start and narrow it down. When was the last time the carbs and petcocks were cleaned? Do you have inline fuel filters? Have you tested your coils? does it spit and sputter, or just bog? Or does it just quit and die without warning?
      "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

+1 on the pick-up coil wires.........for starters, pulling every half inch to see if insulation stretches.......bet you'll find one broke internally.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Does the fuel starvation only seem to happen on a little longer rides? Have you looked into the gas cap vent?

If it just seems to come and go no matter the duration of the ride, it seems possibly electrical then. Carb issues tend to not be intermitent. One way to check is to ride it while its missing like that, keep it missing then shut it down before it can catch. Now, see which pipes are hottest. Use a bottle of water or any source you have handy, spray or just flick water on the pipes and see which one(s) are not as hot as others. If they all seem just as hot, then again, pointing towards electrical. IF the cooler pipe(s) are grouped 1 and 4, or 2 and 3, then even bigger chance it is coil or pick-up coil related. Most likely culprit being the pick-up coils.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Yard Dogg View Post
            Yeah, without doing a little more studying and inspecting on things it could be quite a list of problems from the description. Here's a few questions to start and narrow it down. When was the last time the carbs and petcocks were cleaned? Do you have inline fuel filters? Have you tested your coils? does it spit and sputter, or just bog? Or does it just quit and die without warning?
            carbs were done in 2009 petcocks cleaned at the same time. no inline filters that morning it bogged down and the just died no warning at all.
            1980 xs1100 sg.

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              Does the fuel starvation only seem to happen on a little longer rides? Have you looked into the gas cap vent?

If it just seems to come and go no matter the duration of the ride, it seems possibly electrical then. Carb issues tend to not be intermitent. One way to check is to ride it while its missing like that, keep it missing then shut it down before it can catch. Now, see which pipes are hottest. Use a bottle of water or any source you have handy, spray or just flick water on the pipes and see which one(s) are not as hot as others. If they all seem just as hot, then again, pointing towards electrical. IF the cooler pipe(s) are grouped 1 and 4, or 2 and 3, then even bigger chance it is coil or pick-up coil related. Most likely culprit being the pick-up coils.
              getting out temp gun on weds afternoon and checking that good thing i bought them spare coils when i could get them for 30.00
              1980 xs1100 sg.

Comment

+1 on coil

I can't agree more about the coil. I had exactly the same symptoms about a month ago on my 65 T120 Triumph. I realize it is a different bike, but in many ways, certain problems and fixes are all the same in behavior (it does have EI). I would get almost 6 miles exactly every time I rode, then came the sputter, missing, etc. Checked everything to include gas line routing, petcock, since it seemed to so closely resemble running out of gas. However, when I sat for a minute i.e. at a stop light, it would start to run well again, but then restart with the sputtering, just much more quickly. After a month of intensive troubleshooting checking all the wiring, carburetor jetting, (and a month of no riding) etc., I broke down and changed the coil. It must have been overheating in my case but, it was an instant fix. I was hesitant to consider it since the current coil was new since rebuild which was only 600 miles ago, and coils for the most part, are pretty reliable, at least in my experience. Who knew? Good luck and hope it all works out. Jon
                Last edited by LiteFiter; 09-17-2012, 11:02 AM.
                1979 XS1100 Special
                1965 T125 Triumph Custom Chopper

Comment

Ty all got a new spots to try.
                  1980 xs1100 sg.

Comment

ok all coils changed not sure if it fixed problem made it 2 miles and bike died again with no warning just died tried to pop the clutch when it dies and would not stay running. got a cdi coming trying that but while waiting for it pulling back off tank and petcocks checking tank filters and taking out the octy and checking that. was rebuild 3yrs ago. if any other ideas please let me know will try them.
                    1980 xs1100 sg.

Comment

Check your ballast resistor (located under the tank on the left sitting on the bike) to see if it's failing. These get hot in use, it may be going 'open'....
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

come to a cope today. look for post in bikes forsale.
                        1980 xs1100 sg.

Comment

(crazy steve) was not it did try it. (motoman) that was it nothing was wrong with them a year ago and low and behold there it was.
                          1980 xs1100 sg.

Comment

So, does this mean you are selling it, or crushing it?
                            For a little more than scrap price, I would drive over there and pick it up.
                            CZ

Comment

Working...
                            X