Small project just got bigger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small project just got bigger

In the hopes of having a project that would not be too big, this project SG just got bigger. Oil leaking from the seal and case seal behind the stater. Looks like the engine gets pulled, torn apart and split. Also found what looks to be like sand in the middle drive. So. this bike gets a total tear down and rebuild. I do have a couple of questions maybe someone can answer. The #2 exhaust header seal at the head. It won't seal up. Bolts are tight and identical to #1,3, and 4. Are there any crush washers available to seat between the pipe and the head?
    This project may need a stater. Any leads other then Ebay?
    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
    1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

There IS a gasket supposed to be between. If you dont have them in you would know it.

Often they are crushed into the space and just look like part of the head. Trying to double gasket isnt working well either.

If yours is stock the retainer cant bend, but aftermarket headers can be bent till it doesnt seal right.

Too bad this is getting big. Any luck on dealing with the Don Vesco SG?

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by Czekus21 View Post
      In the hopes of having a project that would not be too big, this project SG just got bigger. Oil leaking from the seal and case seal behind the stater. Looks like the engine gets pulled, torn apart and split. Also found what looks to be like sand in the middle drive. So. this bike gets a total tear down and rebuild. I do have a couple of questions maybe someone can answer. The #2 exhaust header seal at the head. It won't seal up. Bolts are tight and identical to #1,3, and 4. Are there any crush washers available to seat between the pipe and the head?
      This project may need a stater. Any leads other then Ebay?
      Are you sure it's not just the o-ring on the oil galley plug under the stator cover leaking?

No sense in tearing down the engine to replace a seal and if the middle drive IS bad that's easy to change. You soure it's not just years of sludge.

You can get those exhaust gaskets at pretty much any MC shop for a buck or less each.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

fwiw, buying a used stator may or may not prove to be a waste of money. my '80 special needed a stator when i bought it and i tried to get a used one off ebay. every one of the sellers i contacted failed to answer the one question i asked "has it been tested with a meter to determine if in fact it is not shorted?" they all said the same thing "well, no but it came off a bike that ran and it sure LOOKS like it's good". what bull****. my bike ran great when i bought it but is sure didn't charge the battery a damn bit. i ended up getting my stator rebuilt by ricks , cost me $125 and 3 weeks wait time but is was well worth it. and i KNOW it's good to go for a long time and warrantied. of course, ymmv. oh yeah, some of those "sellers" think that a field coil is a stator,one showed a picture of a reg/rec unit thinking it is a stator and one guy showed a rotor and called it a stator. watch out for people selling stuff about which they know nothing. good luck in your search

Comment

I wouldn't rebuild that motor just yet. That sand you see may not be sand. Gas engines develop carbon buildup inside the motors which looks like dirt, and it may show usage, but if it doesn't smoke yet, than ride it. Just pull you oil pan, clean it, run a 1/4 quart of tranny fluid until your next oil change to clean things out and then see what your oil looks like after the next change. Ride it til it drops.
          "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't think about the oil galley plug in the stater housing. I'll check it out. I made a new gasket for the stater cover and it turned out quite well. as far as the header, I'll probably have to check out the local bike shop. The header tube is straight in alignment with the head. Just the clamp won't pull it tight when tightened all the way. I may send the stater off to get rebuilt. When it comes to electronic engine components, I don't trust anything on Ebay.
            S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
            1-big XS patch
            1-small XS/XJ patch
            1-XS/XJ owners pin.
            1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
            2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
            1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
            1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

The crankshaft end seals can be replaced without taking the engine apart. You prise out the old one and you can push fit an after-market seal. It's well documented here on the forum
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

When it comes to electronic engine components, I don't trust anything on Ebay.
                That's a bit of a wrong attitude, IMO. eBay has many, many reputable sellers of all sorts of items (I'm one of them). I've bought loads of electronic components off eBay and have had no issues with them at all. That includes Dyna coils for my XS1100, electronic ignition systems, iridium plugs, HT caps, cylinders, pistons,, gasket sets etc etc. You just have to use common sense when evaluating the seller. Poor quality products are easy enough to spot by the seller's history and location.

I really wouldn't 'diss' eBay. It's an invaluable source of difficult to find spares, equipment, tools and so on. I would recommend it to anyone, particularly those people who are trying to keep classic bikes running.
                Last edited by James England; 09-18-2012, 11:13 AM.
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

The header tube is straight in alignment with the head. Just the clamp won't pull it tight when tightened all the way.
                  You may try loosening the clamp under the bike and wiggling it while you tighten down your header flange. It may be backed out of the header collector just a little bit, or pushed to far in.
                  "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Working...
                  X