No announcement yet.

Toasty Final Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The inner race remained on the ring gear when removed to clarify.

Oh Wise Wizard of Trbig, I will succumb to your recommendations once I find a suitable XS850 final drive. I think the current one will manage a week on 80-90 and wheel bearing grease, especially if it's going to rain like this.
    1979 XS1100 SF
    1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
    1981 KZ650CSR
    2006 VTX 1300C
    1986 Radian 600

Comment

You can fill up 3+ final drives on one quart of the full synthetic, so in reality, you wasted money by buying the dyno oil. BUT... since the final drive looked like that, have you checked the middle drive? Filling the final and middle drive will take the bigger part of a quart.
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by conquest87tsi View Post
        The inner race remained on the ring gear when removed to clarify.

Ya, alles ist in ordnung, mein lieberfreund.

The inner race stays on the ring gear hub, which makes it difficult to check clearance of the bearing, due to the mass of steel masking the subtle vibrations used to check clearance, and the ring gear riding on the pinion.
        On the other hand, if you KEEP IT CLEAN, it is a beefy needle bearing, and if the oil level is kept to spec, it gets all the oil it needs to function till you get old and quit riding. Do not flush it out with anything but fresh solvent. Not the stuff in the solvent tank, which is full of microparticles of who knows what kind of abrasive dreck in suspension.
        Cleanliness is next to Godlyness, and be God like in your dealings with the final drive.
        Can I hear an "Amen", brother? CZ

Comment

Amen brother CZ
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Trbig,
            I did check and change the middle gear as well. I do think it is the first time the oil in either has been changed, since the amount of filings on the middle plug were identical to the final drive.

I am thinking I was just paranoid about the heat of the final drive, as it's sounds like they get quite hot. Anyway, I will get some good oil to fill my 750 final drive with when it goes on. At least my paranoia is going to result in close to 10mpg at cruising speed.
            1979 XS1100 SF
            1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
            1981 KZ650CSR
            2006 VTX 1300C
            1986 Radian 600

Comment

10 MPG bump with the FD swap! You sir are dreaming!
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yes, the stock FD units get pretty hot, the 850 units not quite as hot. One thing I have noticed is with regular gear oil, over time there will be the normal buildup of metallic gunk on the drain plug, with the synthetic Royal Purple, none whatsoever, YMMV.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Originally posted by conquest87tsi View Post
                  At least my paranoia is going to result in close to 10mpg at cruising speed.
                  I am a fan of the 750/850 FD swap. I like the reduced engine RPM, and never missed the torque. Ran one on my first XS11 for a couple years.

However, I never saw a noticable increase in fuel efficiency. It might give you a little, but I would suspect more in the 1-5 MPG range, closer to 2 or 3 if any. What fuel efficiency you gain in the area of lower rpm for the same speed, you lose some of in needing more HP for the same rpm due to loss of gear advantage.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                    What fuel efficiency you gain in the area of lower rpm for the same speed, you lose some of in needing more HP for the same rpm due to loss of gear advantage.
                    Your power requirements stays the same. Actually, the power requirements will drop a bit with the lower rpm due to reduced frictional losses in the engine and transmission. What does change is the amount of throttle needed to produce the required torque at that lower rpm. hp = torque*rpm/5252, so if you drop the rpm, then the torque must go up to maintain a constant rpm which means a more open throttle plate. And believe it or not, that actually helps your fuel economy by decreasing the loop loss in the engine (work the engine does to pull air into the cylinder past a closed off intake track).

Of course, whether this will lead to a noticeable fuel economy increase is a whole nother ball game.
                    -- Clint
                    1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

Originally posted by clcorbin View Post
                      Your power requirements stays the same. Actually, the power requirements will drop a bit with the lower rpm due to reduced frictional losses in the engine and transmission. What does change is the amount of throttle needed to produce the required torque at that lower rpm. hp = torque*rpm/5252, so if you drop the rpm, then the torque must go up to maintain a constant rpm which means a more open throttle plate. And believe it or not, that actually helps your fuel economy by decreasing the loop loss in the engine (work the engine does to pull air into the cylinder past a closed off intake track).

Of course, whether this will lead to a noticeable fuel economy increase is a whole nother ball game.
                      And here I was trying not to go all Enginerd on this thing. .
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Sorry bud! I'll behave!
                        -- Clint
                        1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

Well I do know what your saying about an increase in milage with the throttle plate open more, lessening pumping loss.

I also learned something.. Mileage comments really get people talking. Has to be up there with oil choices and hardtailing haha.
                          1979 XS1100 SF
                          1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
                          1981 KZ650CSR
                          2006 VTX 1300C
                          1986 Radian 600

Comment

Originally posted by clcorbin View Post

So that begs the question;
                            Has anyone ever seen a "Brake Specific Fuel Consumption" graph for the 11's?
                            That might shed some light on the 750/850 FD economy debate.
                            CZ

Comment

Didn't have to DGXSER,..............YOU got it right the first time.......
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X