No announcement yet.

Trying to bring back Gold Chrome on Midnight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've decided on Powder Coating the Gold parts. I think if I put a super shiny chrome base-coat with a transparent gold top-coat, I might get the color I'm after. Now I just have to come up with some money to buy an old oven and a powder spray gun.

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/colors/P-5139S/
    Current Ride:
    81 XS1100LH Midnight Special
    Tkat Fork-Brace
    Previously Owned:
    79 XS750 Special

Comment

Not to throw cold water on your idea, but you'll probably be disappointed with the powdercoat. I've tried some of the 'chrome' powders and wasn't impressed. Here's a set of carbs done in 'chrome'...

It's pretty obvious which parts are coated and which are polished.

The other major disappointment was durability; these coatings mar easily (unlike solid-color powders, which I love). I went back and redid some parts I had done as the coating didn't survive assembly. The carbs haven't been put into service yet, I'll see how these do in real-world use. I can tell you that these type powders will show scratches even more than paint will.

As far as finding an oven, check on CL in the 'free' list...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I have powder coated mine with results. As noted by others, the color is not exact but it looked much better than the beat up gold that was on it. Don't bother with the chrome powder coat layer. I polished the aluminum then did the translucent gold over it. Then powder coated black for the lettering, then a layer of clear. Came out very nice but not an exact color match. All of the Chrome powder i have tried was very disappointing.
        Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
        '82 XJ1100
        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

gold.....

As for the tank and side cover badges....I have used a product called "Rub & Buff". It comes in a tube much like toothpaste. A very little dab goes along way. I have not yet tried to clear coat these parts afterwords. But....the results look pretty good. Strip the coating on the letters and apply, a couple coatings do the trick. Then I used a 00 paint brush to do the sides and base.
          At this time:
          1985 Goldwing Innr.
          1976 cb 750 cafe racer
          2007 vtx 1300
          81 sx 1100 s h
          81 sx 400 special

Comment

You could always look at
            http://sprayonchrome.com/
            Go to their Gold effects section
            http://www.goldeffects.com/index2.html
            I have not tried it nor seen a finished product but it looks like it may do the job. Of course a lot would have to do with heat properties and if gas would affect it but those are questions one could ask of them.
            If my MNS had enough black chrome or Gold left to even attempt a restore I would have. As it is it has a different engine and so many non stock parts that it would be a waste of money to even attempt that.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I'm definitely not trying to turn a profit here. I love my bike and want it to look good. I'll probably experiment a little with powder coating some other things before I put it on the bike. The PO painted all the side covers and engine with a crappy black crackle paint that looks terrible. It's dull and crinkly. So first things first, I've got to get underneath the crackle and see what exactly I'll be working with.
              Current Ride:
              81 XS1100LH Midnight Special
              Tkat Fork-Brace
              Previously Owned:
              79 XS750 Special

Comment

Working...
              X