Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Right turn signal not working correctly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right turn signal not working correctly.

So I have a weird issue going on. My left turn signal works correctly. You activate it and it auto cancels after the turn etc. When it comes to my right turn signal I cant get it to turn on except once or twice in a 1000 miles. I hit the switch and nothing will happen. I have had it turn on after turning right but I cant reproduce this. I have opened the controller and made sure it was clean and it looks like everything is making a connection. Not sure where to go now..thanks for the help.

You need to chase the grounds as well as power side on each right side turn signal itself. You may have a loose connection. Does one bulb light and the other not? Otherwise, it could be you need to disassemble the switch and see what is going on inside. As tight as that is in there a wire connection could come loose and still look intact till you open it up.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

No Blinky

I would remove the turn signal switch from the left handle bar. What happens is the solder securing the wires to the switch's contacts breaks away due to viration, age, whatever. I had this problem on both of my XSs. Amusingly it was also my right turn signal that wasn't working. I removed the switch and completely disassembled it and found that both left and right wires where disconnected, but the left side must have been just touching. All I did was resolder the wire to the contacts. Like I said you will have to remove all the components to do this.
      1979 XS1100 SF
      1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
      1981 KZ650CSR
      2006 VTX 1300C
      1986 Radian 600

Comment

Have you removed the lenses from both lights? That's the first place you'll get corrosion. Clean it all up. Grounds clean and secure? Check the switch contacts for corrosion. I wouldn't suspect a broken wire unless you have been messing with it or your bike runs on two cylinders and vibrates like an old Triumph. If it's broken, you'll find it when you go in there to clean it up.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Yup, check your bulb sockets and the soldered connections in the switch. If you have to solder the wires in the switch onto the contact nodes, do not spend to long on it with the soldering gun, cause it will melt the plastic holding the contact node and you'll have to replace the switch. Heat just long enough to get the wire back on the contact node then stop.
          "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by Yard Dogg View Post
            Yup, check your bulb sockets and the soldered connections in the switch. If you have to solder the wires in the switch onto the contact nodes, do not spend to long on it with the soldering gun, cause it will melt the plastic holding the contact node and you'll have to replace the switch. Heat just long enough to get the wire back on the contact node then stop.
            What he said. If it comes to that, use a 10 watt soldering iron.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

I'm kinda having the same issue with my G. The right signals blink erratically while the left one works just fine. I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot further, but my hazards also blink crazy too. I'm guessing my issue is either with the handlebar switch or downstream towards the right side bulbs.
              2 years ago, I had my switch apart for a resolder job and that was a PIA.
              I hope I don't have to do that again.
              Once I figure it out, I'll post up here what I found for all to learn from.
              Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
              The Green Monster
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
              Got him in '04.
              bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
              Scarlet
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
              Got her in '11
              Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
              Hugo
              Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
              Cold weather ride

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for all the info so far. I will give them a try and let you know..

Comment

Originally posted by ntrthamatrix View Post
                  So I have a weird issue going on. My left turn signal works correctly. You activate it and it auto cancels after the turn etc. When it comes to my right turn signal I cant get it to turn on except once or twice in a 1000 miles. - - -
                  Hi 'trix,
                  did the bike always do this or is it a new thing?
                  If you used to see both sides working you got the right bulbs in.
                  If one side works properly it ain't the flasher or the canceller.
                  Rig a jumper wire from the T/W wire to the G wire to bypass the indicator switch.
                  If the rightside signals work the problem is in the indicator switch.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by conquest87tsi View Post
                    I would remove the turn signal switch from the left handle bar. What happens is the solder securing the wires to the switch's contacts breaks away due to viration, age, whatever. I had this problem on both of my XSs. Amusingly it was also my right turn signal that wasn't working. I removed the switch and completely disassembled it and found that both left and right wires where disconnected, but the left side must have been just touching. All I did was resolder the wire to the contacts. Like I said you will have to remove all the components to do this.
                    Exact same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago.
                    Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
                    Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
                    Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
                    Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
                    Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
                    K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                    81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Hey Tat2Demon,
                      You have a pretty bug XS following over that way? Saw an add on Craigslist a while back about someone wanting to start up a group.
                      1979 XS1100 SF
                      1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
                      1981 KZ650CSR
                      2006 VTX 1300C
                      1986 Radian 600

Comment

Fixed my issue

So I found out why my right side lights were flickering intermittently/sporadic.
                        It turns out the the wire connector going to the right saddlebag was grounding out on the bag frame and as I went over bumps in the road it would clear, so it would flash a little until the next bump.
                        It suprized me that it wasn't enough current flow to blow the fuse. I guess the stock flasher has enough internal resistance to keep it low enough, or the stock flasher kept it from flashing on the right because the load was 'off' (ie. not 57W)

Either way, I now know something new about these signals,
                        With a stock flasher, if one bulb is out/open, then the flasher 'sticks' 'on' on that side, but if you've got a 'short' then the flasher won't flash at all on the side with the 'short'.
                        Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                        The Green Monster
                        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                        Got him in '04.
                        bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                        Scarlet
                        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                        Got her in '11
                        Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                        Hugo
                        Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                        Cold weather ride

Comment

Working...
                        X