I have a few issues....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a few issues....

Hey guys, its been awhile since my last post, had some family tragedy to deal with, thank god my bike has held up through it all...
    I am having a few issues though...

1) Since i last tore down and cleaned my carbs a few months ago, i am getting around 80 miles per tank! ugh...any ideas on this?

2) My front wheel is wobbling around 75 mph...i did some searching and I believe my front wheel weights fell off, so Im going to put more on and see how that goes...

3) The other day, my speedometer started flying around all over the range, then crapped out completely, including the lights. The tach still works though...any ideas on this?

4) Lastly, my horn sometimes works, and sometimes doesnt. Again, any ideas?
    79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

04 Buell XB12R "Butterfly"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
    Moto Militia MC

Originally posted by airborneXS View Post
    Hey guys, its been awhile since my last post, had some family tragedy to deal with, thank god my bike has held up through it all...

1) Since i last tore down and cleaned my carbs a few months ago, i am getting around 80 miles per tank! ugh...any ideas on this?

2) My front wheel is wobbling around 75 mph...i did some searching and I believe my front wheel weights fell off, so Im going to put more on and see how that goes...

3) The other day, my speedometer started flying around all over the range, then crapped out completely, including the lights. The tach still works though...any ideas on this?

If your having problems with your speedo and think your getting 80 mpg then your speedo is having issues and I wouldnt believe your MPG's. Thats double what one would expect, that cant be right.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

The horn is a simple ground switch in the left handlebar controls. Take it apart and clean all the connections in there, then lube it all with dielectric grease.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
        If your having problems with your speedo and think your getting 80 mpg then your speedo is having issues and I wouldnt believe your MPG's. Thats double what one would expect, that cant be right.
        Correction, he said 80 miles per tank, or about 20 miles per gallon (with some rounding errors, not sure of the actual tank cap on a special but know its a little more than 4 US gallons). How did you calculate the miles per tank? If you speedo is wacking out and you used that to calculate it that number may be off. I'd try and find out why you lost power to the speedo first, check the connection to the front wheel and make sure that is good and make sure its still getting electrical power. Do a search on here or look in your manual and you'll find a schematic that you can use to trace the wires. You should be able to find the bad connection by doing that.
        1979 XS1100

Comment

Most Special tanks will be running on reserve by about 3 gallons or so of fuel, maybe 3.25. The tnak is about 3.5 gallons total IIRC. 80 miles per tank is pretty weak, but as much as you have been working on your carbs is that the same tank of fuel your using to figure that? I recently have been tyring to iron out a few issues with a set of carbs I rebuilt, as a result of all the pulling of carbs and dumping several bowls of fuel out in the process, I added 3.2 gallons of fuel at 85 miles the other day. I continued riding form there and at around 70 miles I refueled, taking in 1.8 gallons of fuel, about 40 MPG.

Item 3 may be closely related to item 1, if your going by your odometer to calculate your Miles per tank, if the speedo part is not functioning correctly, then your odometer is questionable. For it to go as crazy as your describing, sounds like the internals flew apart to take out the lights as well. The speedo is mechanical, the tach is electronic so not connected other than mounted to the same bracket.

As Bug stated, the horn is a simple switch that grounds the circuit. Either your horn button needs cleaning or replacing, or perhaps the wires on your horns have loosened.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

the speedo has been fine the last few thousand miles, thats what ive been using to average my gas...i ride around 500-1000 miles a week, at least...i fill it up with 3 gallons every time, and only get about 80 miles...when i have to switch to reserve i get maybe 5 more miles of fuel...

the horn wires are good, at least to the horns, i replaced and modified the horns...i will try taking the switch apart and cleaning it...

i just checked the speedo cable and it came loose at the end that goes into the speedo, i will have to try and re-crimp the end...however, it has no power so i think i have 2 things wrong with the spedometer...
            79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
            Moto Militia MC

Comment

Your front wheel will need balancing (as opposed to sticking weights on where they were before). Are the wheel bearings OK? See if you can wiggle the wheel from side to side.....
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Hi Airborne,
                1) if that's 80 miles before switching to reserve, that's ~25mpg.
                Is your vacuum advancer still working?
                Recent posts on gas mileage inspired me to check the one on my SG.
                Not working! Pulled it off and sucked on it and it works, will check further.
                Do you suppose the carb cleaning may have upset the #2 carb's suction?
                2) You can DIY a static wheel balance but best you take the wheel to someplace that can do a dynamic balance.
                3) Alas, your speedo is hooped. Best buy another one. The tach is a completely separate instrument and cannot be affected by a speedo failure
                4) Dirty terminals. Clean them. If that don't work, perhaps the horn itself is hooped. Check it by connecting it directly to a battery.
                Consider replacing it with a Stebel-Nautilus or other LOUD horn.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Horn

The horns on the SF are pretty weak at best. Mine was buzzing last week so I had a look at it. Turns out a big dragon fly had committed suicide and became lodged in the diaphram. Blew it out with compressed air and it works fine now or at least as good as it ever did.
                  mack
                  79 XS 1100 SF Special
                  HERMES
                  original owner
                  http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                  SPICA
                  http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                  IOTA
                  https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                  https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                  Frankford, Ont, Canada
                  613-398-6186

Comment

hey fred, what did you mean about the #2 carbs suction?

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

Wolf
                    Moto Militia MC

Comment

hey fred, what did you mean about the #2 carbs suction?
                      Hi Airborne,
                      if the vacuum advance don't get sucked on it ain't gonna move.
                      The vacuum advance suction line is hooked up to the little metal elbow that sticks out of the forward face of the #2 carb.
                      The hole the elbow sucks through is quite small and could have gotten blocked over the years or perhaps by your cleaning process washing some crud in there.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                      X