Cleaning Up a Nice Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Up a Nice Tank

So I pulled this tank off a parts bike many (8?) years ago. I'm pretty sure I drained the gas before shelving it, but didn't do any other prep. Red, pretty damn nice shape.

Well, the paint's pretty much gone of my current tank, so I'm planning to swap it. The new tank was off a previously running (but totaled) bike, so apparently all was well with petcocks and everything.

Here's what it looks like inside:

That surface easily wipes clean with a finger. I guess this is either varnish and/or light rust.

Most of the searching I've done is about dealing with SERIOUS rust issues inside. I don't want to put a liner in this guy; I think it's in pretty good shape.

I'm thinking I want to just clean out with some acetone, from what I've read, then wash it out with a pressure washer, and let dry completely. Then I'll put new gas in and try out the petcocks.

Sound good, or should I be more concerned about the condition of this guy?

thanks!
    79 XS1100SF

You could use a mild soapy solution with a handful of pea gravel just to break loose any thing stuck to the surface, then rinse it out with distilled water to prevent flash rust. Then rinse with gasoline. I only say this cause I'd hate the acetone to mess up that purdy paint job.
    "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

If it were my tank, I would swash some acetone to clean off the surface rust/dust. Ten rinse it with denatured alchohol. Pop it on, fill with fuel and ride. Do you have inline fuel filters correct?
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

If it were mine, I would buy a gallon of Metal Rescue. Poor it into the tank and let it do its' job. Without effort from you, all of the rust will be gone and the remaining treated surface in the tank will remain unharmed. Pour it back in the bottle for later use. Rinse the tank out with gasoline, and fill it up. You're done.

I've tried this stuff and it works! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by johnstewart View Post
          So I pulled this tank off a parts bike many (8?) years ago. I'm pretty sure I drained the gas before shelving it, but didn't do any other prep. Red, pretty damn nice shape.

Well, the paint's pretty much gone of my current tank, so I'm planning to swap it. The new tank was off a previously running (but totaled) bike, so apparently all was well with petcocks and everything.

Here's what it looks like inside:

That surface easily wipes clean with a finger. I guess this is either varnish and/or light rust.

Most of the searching I've done is about dealing with SERIOUS rust issues inside. I don't want to put a liner in this guy; I think it's in pretty good shape.

I'm thinking I want to just clean out with some acetone, from what I've read, then wash it out with a pressure washer, and let dry completely. Then I'll put new gas in and try out the petcocks.

Sound good, or should I be more concerned about the condition of this guy?

thanks!
          I'd avoid the acid washes, no need to etch that tank, clean it as best you can without the etchers and fill it and ride. The acid washes work but then the tank is highly susceptible to rusting and is usually followed up with some coating of which you do not need. Maybe a long dowel and a shop rag wire tied on the end as a swap and some lacquer thinner.
          1970? Honda Z50... gone
          1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
          1974 Honda CB200... gone
          1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
          1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
          2008 Honda VTX 1800F
          1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
          1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

No need for overkill on that tank. Take the petcocks off along with the sending unit and float, spray it heavily with WD-40, take it to your local car wash and pressure wash it out from top and inner side where sending unit was. Dry it out real good and put the parts back on and use it as is. It'll be fine.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Clean it and ride it! Looks very nice.
              1995 KZ100P
              Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
              Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Hey all; thanks for the suggestions.

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                No need for overkill on that tank. Take the petcocks off along with the sending unit and float, spray it heavily with WD-40, take it to your local car wash and pressure wash it out from top and inner side where sending unit was. Dry it out real good and put the parts back on and use it as is. It'll be fine.
                Motoman's seemed like the least intrusive, so this is what I did. I sprayed it out, then washed and dried it. Still some tarnish, but I think decently clean. Stopping at the bike shop to get some fuel filters to put on before I try it out.

Now the next concern... should I use the petcocks from the new tank (which were fine when I pulled the tank, as far as I know), or the ones from my old tank, which I know work? Should I soak them first in some cleaner before I use them, if I do use the unknown ones?

Also, as far as my old tank.... anything in particular I should do to prep it before storage? WD40 probably is no good as it's more of a solvent than a lube.

thanks all!
                79 XS1100SF

Comment

To get rid of the tarnish you can mix seafoam with your first tank of gas.
                  "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Use the petcocks that are in it. Use the inline filters and you will be just fine. Guarantee you there are folks running daily riders with worse tanks than what you have there.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                    X