Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts

I'm new to this site. I think it's really great that this site exists. I've read through some posts. I'd like to ask a question. I own a 80 xs 11 special. I was curious to know if I'm looking for parts(throttle/clutch cable, seats, tires, etc) Am I restricted to only 80 xs 11 specials or will standard models work and different year 11 specials work. I've tried to find something that has somekind of cross reference guide. Right now I'm looking for a throttle cable for my bike. I've been to the topeka yamaha dealer and they acted like I was an inconvience since my bike was an older bike. the standard answer I got is we can't order the part since it's too old. I've bought some parts off ebay, and JC Whitney. I would like to know where I can order parts. Thanks

Free
    "Watchout for the guy behind the guy in front of you"

1980 XS 1100 SG

Dennis kirk has a good selection of cables.
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Yamaha is still able to deliver cables - at least in Germany. But they charge you about 26 EUR for a throttle cable.

Why don't you make a cable by yourself? It's not that difficult.

Comment

Kevin, I also ride an 80 Special. I bought a 78 Standard for parts, and that's when I discovered the many little differences between the two models. There are some interchangable parts, but not too many. The engine of course, and most of the electrical can be used. The head and tail light are different. The exhaust has a different angle in the rear and the special has shorter mufflers. The Special uses a 16 in rear wheel vs a 17 in for the Standard. The seats are shaped differently, but will bolt up. The fuel tank is different. The instruments are different. The forks are different. The front calipers are different. The fenders are different. There may be other differences that I'm not aware of ...yet. The cables are the same for both models. You'd be better off finding another Special for parts, though there were some changes from the 79 to 80 models. The carbs are the same...but different. They will swap, but some of the internals are different. The 79 speedo registered 160 mph vs 85 for the 80 and 81. The tail light was moved from the lower part of the fender to up under the seat, so the seat from a 79 is different. The grab rail is different. I found that out the hard way. Bought a 79 seat before I learned the differences between a 79-80. There was no Special in 78. I have installed some parts from an XJ11 on my bike. I have the wheels, they have curved spokes, vs the straight spokes, rear air shocks and even the engine. Some parts from other Yamaha models will work. I have the headlight bucket and mounting ears from an 80 XS850 Special, and the tail ligt from an XS 650 Special. A good source for OEM parts is yamatopdog.com. A good source for aftermarket is partsnmore.com. Click on the home tab at the top of this page, then look in the links area to find some parts sources.

Good luck with your bike.

Comment

Use Yamahas Electronic Parts Catalog to check part numbers between different years and models.

At the top of the page click the down arrow under Catalogs: and highlight Motorcycle then click on go and pick the year you want.

Hope this helps!

Yamaha Electronic Parts Catalog
          Gary
          79sf
          78e

Comment

Parts

I have found two good motorcycle shop's here in Rockford. The Yamaha shop got me a clutch cable in two day's, and even knew what an XS11 WAS !! They seemed happy to help.(PS,I paid LESS for an oem cable from them, then I would have from that guy on eBay that sell's "equivelent" cables.
            I have also done business with an independent shop.The owner know's a great deal about the XS11, and has been very helpfull.My "one stop shopping spree" at his little shop got me the front and rear brake master cylinders, both front calipers,the rear caliper, brake pad's, a petcock/octapus rebuild kit, rebuild kit's for all the brake part's(OEM).He had all this in STOCK.Then I asked about carb kit's, and he STOCK'S all OEM part's for my carb's too.(He will tell you how bad some after market kit's are, then he will prove it)
            He wasnt just lucky, and I cleaned out his old stock, he reordered it for his stock.
            He has box's of used XS part's, and a couple of junk(salvage?)bike's to boot.Tank's, seat's, I could go on, and on.
            P/s. He WANTS to see my bike when it is done, and offered to do a carb sync, then dyno it(yes, he has a dyno in his shop).Ya got to like this guy.
            "BIG JOHNSON"
            1981 XS1100SH
            FINISHED,READY TO RIDE

Comment

You need to buy this guy a beer, and sit down and BS with him. He probably knows more about an XS than most of us put together. Sounds like you have a new 'bestest' friend.

Comment

Parts sources

Guys,
                check the Links section on this site for many parts sources. You can also get a list of friendly dealers at this Sources link:

http://www.xs11.com/tips/sources.htm

many of us have used Zanotti Motors, one of the sources, as they provide excellent service and a discount to list members. If you have the part number, which saves them labor of looking up stuff, you will get a bit more of a break.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Poolboy, how lucky are you to find a dealer who actually wants to support your efforts, instead of the ones a lot of us seem to find.
                  Cool!!
                  Marty in NW PA
                  Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                  Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                  This IS my happy face.

Comment

thanks for all ur input. for some reason i couldn't log into this site, for the past couple of days. i got it figured out.
                    Poolboy, sounds like you struck gold with ur parts man. John thanks for the cross references to other years and models. Chevy, Bastel, C.A., Marty. Thanks, for the links and personal info. I'll be checking out the links.I talked to some guys I work with and one of them gave me a name of place where they sell car parts but on the other half/side he sells motorcycle parts. So i'm gonna make the adventure 30 miles west of home and see what he has to offer. I really do appreciate everyone's willingness to help someone in need. I'll keep you guys posted with the trip results.
                    "Watchout for the guy behind the guy in front of you"

1980 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Working...
                    X