color tune kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• color tune kit?

Does anyone have a color tune kit that lives close to the San Diego area. I was wondering if someone will let me borrow or rent one.
    USMC 2005 - Present

79 XS1100F -Mileage unknown - Clubman bars, aftermarket headlight and speedometer, 4 into 1 straight through exhaust, TopCat's fuse box, 1980G rear fender - Daily driver - My first Motorcycle
    78 XS1100E - Rebuilt And Sold I SHOULD OF KEPT IT!!!

I don't think they are all that great but some do . I do have a Morgan carbtune though
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

If you are free during the week Tue wed let me know I can help you tune up
      91 kwaka kz1000p
      Stock

Comment

I agree with Garth, not as useful as they say.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I use one, but do not live close to you. I have yet to be able to hear the idle speed change by adjusting the mixture screw. So I like seeing the color of the flame. I tend to adjust mine a quarter turn or so rich of when it turns from the yellow rich flame back to bunsen blue.

I also pull my plugs after a couple hundred miles and see how they look, and make final adjustments from the plug color.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

I can't hear the change either but if you do the sync then go one cylinder at a time and adjust the idle mix screw to get the highest vacuum. Resync, move to the next mix screw, and so on.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
              adjust the idle mix screw to get the highest vacuum. Resync, move to the next mix screw, and so on.
              I didn't know you could do that top adjust the idle mixture screw. I might try it because i know some of my cylinders are rich and some are lean. Is this an accurate way of adjusting the idle mixture screws?
              USMC 2005 - Present

79 XS1100F -Mileage unknown - Clubman bars, aftermarket headlight and speedometer, 4 into 1 straight through exhaust, TopCat's fuse box, 1980G rear fender - Daily driver - My first Motorcycle

Comment

It's tough to hear but you need to start with a base level . I turn them all the way in till seated lightly then go out 1 11/2 turns it might run like crap but do one Carbs at a time listeningfor a smooth idle and also a hot pipe .it is harder to hear with a 4/1 pipe
                91 kwaka kz1000p
                Stock

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                  I use one, but do not live close to you. I have yet to be able to hear the idle speed change by adjusting the mixture screw. So I like seeing the color of the flame. I tend to adjust mine a quarter turn or so rich of when it turns from the yellow rich flame back to bunsen blue.

I also pull my plugs after a couple hundred miles and see how they look, and make final adjustments from the plug color.
                  I set mine the same way with the colortune. It does work much better with a hotter spark that you get with the aftermarket coils. Thing is without doing a plug check at the various points you still do not actually know what the engine is getting. When I use the colortune I find that I am really close to the final settings but never quite perfect.
                  I have never tried the method Nate has suggested as I have a colortune and I like it a lot. I do not doubt that it works as I have set vehicle carbs using the same idea.
                  2-79 XS1100 SF
                  2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                  80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                  Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by GARTHXS View Post
                    I don't think they are all that great but some do . I do have a Morgan carbtune though
                    You said you have a Morgan carbtune. I have a set of vacuum gauges that I use and with my bike I just cant see that much of a difference for when it has the highest vacuum. I have used my gauges on an xs11 with stock exhaust and they were perfect. but my bike has straight through pipes with no muffler. will the Morgan carbtune be any better than other vacuum gauges? I would really love to try color tune kit.

Or did you mean you have a colortune made by morgan carbtune?
                    Last edited by mmaddix; 11-13-2012, 06:51 PM.
                    USMC 2005 - Present

Comment

I have the carbtune its super easy and no adjustments
                      91 kwaka kz1000p
                      Stock

Comment

Colortune is useful for identifying problems.

I had no idea what was going on with my little guzzi, sorted it out in 10 minutes with it.

It is not a percision instrument. You cannot set the mixture perfectly, but you can get in the ballpark. At idle/low throttle openings.

Use carbtune or something accurate to measure vacuum and response when letting off the throttle to show you if the butterflies are in sync as well as idle circuits.

For really fine tuning, use a dyno and a guy.
                        Guy should know what he is doing.
                        If you find a girl that does that... let us know
                        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Originally posted by strom View Post
                          Colortune is useful for identifying problems.

I had no idea what was going on with my little guzzi, sorted it out in 10 minutes with it.

It is not a percision instrument. You cannot set the mixture perfectly, but you can get in the ballpark. At idle/low throttle openings.

Use carbtune or something accurate to measure vacuum and response when letting off the throttle to show you if the butterflies are in sync as well as idle circuits.

For really fine tuning, use a dyno and a guy.
                          Guy should know what he is doing.
                          If you find a girl that does that... let us know
                          I would like to use one to hopefully "get in the ball park". I know my butterfly valves are set good to pull the same vacuum, but the fuel air mixture isn't right. Once i get it right hopefully with the color tune kit I will need to redo the vacuum sync.

I guess I will just have to buy one since no one has one close by. If I do buy on I will let anyone close by barrow it. If I buy one.

I might just take my bike to a shop and see if they will let me rent one and use it there.
                          Last edited by mmaddix; 11-21-2012, 08:10 PM.
                          USMC 2005 - Present

Comment

Works out to be about $55 USD for a Gunson colortune from Morgan. If bought in a package with the Morgan carbtune the price is considerably less but of course you end up with the best sync tool that can be bought for these bikes. Best money I spent for these bikes was on the Morgan package deal that supplies the carbtune, the colortune and the carrying kit. Shipping from the UK is only about 5 bucks too. If you can afford it, they are wonderful tools.
                            2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
                            X