Brake light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake light

I just realized today that my brake light isn't working with either the front or rear brakes. All other lights work fine including the running light. Visually both bulbs look fine.

I have no idea where to start looking for the problem. Ideas?
    Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
    Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
    Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
    Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
    Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
    K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
    81 XJ650 Maxim

Originally posted by Tat2demon View Post
    I just realized today that my brake light isn't working with either the front or rear brakes. All other lights work fine including the running light. Visually both bulbs look fine.

Does the horn work? Or the fuel gauge?
    If not, check the fuse.
    If they work, but the brake light doesn't, you will have to do some checking of voltages. Find the connecter that goes to the rear brake switch and unplug it. One wire will be tan, and one will be green / yel. The tan one is power in, and the grn/y is power to the light.
    Turn the key on, and see if you have 12+v to the tan wire. If you do, the switch or wiring to the light is bad.
    Set the meter on ohms, and see if youi have any reading from the grn/y to ground. If so, the wiring is good.
    Let us know what you find out. CZ

Comment

Hi Tat2demon,
      Did you remove the "looks good" bulb? Corrosion in the socket builds up and needs a good clean. light sanding with 320 waterpaper is my favorite. Also some bulbs look good but aren't. my to morrow project is electrical connection cleaning. we all suffer with bad grounds on these 30 +year old bikes.
      Phil

Originally posted by Tat2demon View Post

1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I went out and started messing with it. I have a loose connection somewhere but I cant pin point it. Somewhere under the side cover. Wiggled stuff around and its working now but more wiggling wont get it to flicker so until it happens again I cant narrow it down.
        Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
        Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
        Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
        Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
        Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
        K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
        81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Your brake wire connects to the brake master cylinder down there also.
          "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Working...
          X