rat rod paint job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rat rod paint job

so i have decided to paint my bike in the rat rod style. faded paint missing paint, and rust. i am doing all this with faux painting, and alot of sanding. this is what i have so far. i made my own speed shop logo for the tank. the name of the speed shop is J.B. TAN's customs. j.b. tans is mine, my wifes, and our three kids first initial of everyones name. first i made the design, then alot of taping, because it was all rattle canned. then alot of wet sanding to make the logo look weathered and old.

it took me almost all day to do the painting and sanding of the logo.
    was wondering if i should at least do some of the white pinstriping on the fenders as well, just wanted to see what everyone thought.
    xs1100 hartail bobber

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-36_563.jpg

von dutch pinstriping ? looks like a fun bike enjoy!

Comment

fun

Originally posted by bcknblkbird View Post
      von dutch pinstriping ? looks like a fun bike enjoy!
      i was just thinking about about outlining the fenders with a simple white pinstripe and to sand it to make it to look faded like the logo (old, but new) and yes it is alot of fun, these xs11s are awsome bikes. i ride it to and from work every day, about 45 minuites each way. and i never get tired of it. and it is alot more comfortable than it looks.
      Last edited by Nightengale; 09-01-2012, 07:11 PM.
      xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Looks cool man! I love the hand lettering. It's always good to see people taking these bikes in different directions.

1978 XS1100E

Dyna Coils
        K&N Filter
        16'' Rear Wheel
        4-1 Exhaust
        Kerker Muffler
        Firestone Deluxe Champion Tires
        Custom Seat and Fender

Comment

You did a nice job on the hard tail work. I've been wanting to see closer pics of your bike. Very cool.

What did you do with your pipes? Are they straight piped or do you have restriction? Did you re jet it? I ask because I just discovered that my right side pipe is hammered and it looks like I'll be making my own yet again.
          "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by Nightengale View Post
            i ride it to and from work every day, about 45 minuites each way. and i never get tired of it. and it is alot more comfortable than it looks.
            I was so happy to read this. I know how long projects can seem like they never end, but you're a great example of how they can come blasting out the end of the tunnel. Now I just need to get a move on giving mine the resuscitation it deserves.

I like your idea of putting a mild white pin stripe on the fender. That's what I thought of when I first saw the picture. Maybe wrapping around the back of the fender, or just running straight off. Maybe a fat center stripe of rust and white pin stripes on each side? I'm sure you'll figure out something awesome.
            '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
            '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Originally posted by Nightengale View Post
              so i have decided to paint my bike in the rat rod style. faded paint missing paint, and rust. - - - just wanted to see what everyone thought.
              > Hi John,
              a real rat rod gets to be that way by being ridden hard and it's looks totally neglected for 30 years or more.
              But hey! A faux patina to go with the fauxed-up frame?
              Why not?
              You did ask for thoughts, eh?
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hey John, when are you gonna put some pipes on that thing of yours?

Nice paint job. I bet it looks better up close and personal.
                Haven't seen you on the road in the past few weeks, I guess I'm leaving work a little earlier than you are.
                Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                The Green Monster
                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                Got him in '04.
                bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                Scarlet
                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                Got her in '11
                Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                Hugo
                Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                Cold weather ride

Comment

think im done for now

here is what i came up for the rest of the bike. i wanted to keep it simple and kind of old school, and weathered.
                  front fender

headlight bucket

rear fender

whole bike
                  xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

I have never really been into bobbers and hardtails, but Nightengale, you have done an awesome job converting me. The bike looks outstanding!

I normaly totally hate rat bikes because of the unfinished nature, i.e. rust. I love the idea of fresh paint with the appearence of neglect. You get the assurance of knowing it's finished and protected, but still get a badass looking rat bike.

Not sure I can cut up a XS1100, but I did find a CB750 on craigslist that would be perfect for something like this. You got the wheels turning.
                    1979 XS1100 SF
                    1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
                    1981 KZ650CSR
                    2006 VTX 1300C
                    1986 Radian 600

Comment

No doubt, I've got a 78' XS750 parts bike sitting here now. I think it would look great with a chain conversion, hardtailed, stretched, raked and lowered with an XV950 engine in it.
                      "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Comment

how about twin fishtails running up toward the sissybar

Comment

Originally posted by conquest87tsi View Post
                          I have never really been into bobbers and hardtails, but Nightengale, you have done an awesome job converting me. The bike looks outstanding!

I normaly totally hate rat bikes because of the unfinished nature, i.e. rust. I love the idea of fresh paint with the appearence of neglect. You get the assurance of knowing it's finished and protected, but still get a badass looking rat bike.

Not sure I can cut up a XS1100, but I did find a CB750 on craigslist that would be perfect for something like this. You got the wheels turning.
                          during my project i have done alot of research and on how to set the bike up and on the paint, and saw a 1932 coupe that was a hot rod and had a fiberglass body, that had been painted to look like a rat rod and the car looked awsome so it inspired me to paint mine the same way. and like you said no real rust and all new paint but it looks old as hell but runs and handles like new. and if i had to do it all again i would have restored the bike instead of what i did with it. but i dont regret it either the bike is awsome and exactly the way i wanted it. if you havent seen it, i did a build thread on here titled " want some feedback on my project"
                          xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

undecided

Originally posted by bcknblkbird View Post
                            how about twin fishtails running up toward the sissybar
                            i am still undecided about the exhaust, i do know that i want to wrap the headers but not sure of the back end. i have been toying around with having them turn up and have one of those exhaust flaps that you see on tractor and trailers on the end.
                            Last edited by Nightengale; 09-10-2012, 06:12 PM.
                            xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

I'm really liking how these screaming eagles look. I haven't heard it yet of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X