XS1100LH MS Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS1100LH MS Question

Are the forks on my '81 LH Midnight Special any different from any other special? I'm sending TKAT a check for a fork brace and I want to make sure that if he makes me one for a special that it will fit my Midnight. Looking through the forums, I've seen a couple posts that made it seem they were slightly different, but I can't tell just by looking.
    Current Ride:
    81 XS1100LH Midnight Special
    Tkat Fork-Brace
    Previously Owned:
    79 XS750 Special

Originally posted by thibtyson View Post
    I'm sending TKAT a check for a fork brace and I want to make sure that if he makes me one for a special that it will fit my Midnight. Looking through the forums, I've seen a couple posts that made it seem they were slightly different, but I can't tell just by looking.
    Here is his measurement worksheet.

http://www.tkat.com/forkbrace/diagram.htm

Fork Brace Measurement Worksheet
    1. Center to center of forks (you can measure between the two fork tubes and add the diameter of one fork tube to get this)
    2. Diameter at top of slider (below the dust cap)
    3. Diameter of section covered by dustcap
    4. Diameter of fork tube
    5. Distance from top of fender to TOP of slider. NOTE: your fender may be higher than the sliders, specify - if below, + if above
    6. Height of dustcap area including groove.
    7. Height of groove.
    8. Diameter of groove.

He has done so many XS11 TKAT's that as long as you specify which year / model XS then it will be fine. You could do the measurements and send those along with the check if you were concerned. If he had questions he would contact you first.

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Thanks, I'll take the measurements and send them along with the check. Better to be safe than to have an unusable piece of aluminum sitting around.
      Current Ride:
      81 XS1100LH Midnight Special
      Tkat Fork-Brace
      Previously Owned:
      79 XS750 Special

Comment

Do take the measurements, the differences between the LH forks and the rest of the special forks is in the brake mounting pads. The LH uses the same linked brake system as the XJ, and the calipers are different requiring different mounting locations and pad design.

They are identical in all other ways, using the same components inside and upper fork tubes etc. So the dimensions important for the fork brace should be identical.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Working...
        X