smoke from carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoke from carb

Can someone tell me why i have some light smoke coming from my #3 carb, is this normal? I have the air filter off and was trying to get the carbs to stop leaking. It appears the rebuilt float needle and seat worked since its not leaking, but after running it for a few minutes I decided to take it down the road to see how it ran. As soon as I put it into 2nd gear it started to cut out a little and making a popping or sputtering sound. I turned around and when I turned it off there was smoke coming from the #3 carb. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by B.B.; 08-30-2012, 09:30 PM.
    Brian

1980 xs1100 Special - Work in progress

Originally posted by B.B. View Post
    Can someone tell me why i have some light smoke coming from my #3 carb, is this normal? I have the air filter off and was trying to get the carbs to stop leaking. It appears the rebuilt float needle and seat worked since its not leaking, but after running it for a few minutes I decided to take it down the road to see how it ran. As soon as I put it into 2nd gear it started to cut out a little and making a popping or sputtering sound. I turned around and when I turned it off there was smoke coming from the #3 carb. Any suggestions?
    Without filter housing on, just normal noises not heard when filter housing is on. The fix is put the filter housing and filter back on, then adjust idle mixtures and re-sync......
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

There are two things that might cause this. A bad exhaust system cad cause reverse pulsing while bothe valves are slightly open. A sticking intake valve might cause this also.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
      X