More Electrical problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Electrical problems.

I've been fighing off electrical gremlins since I first got my 79 standard 3 years ago. Just finished some spring maintance on the weekend (Putting things back together and starting and the spedo/odo isn't working anymore. I just want to know if electrical issues could have caused this or if it's mechanical? I had to wire a very strange headlight switch last year which is why i'm curious.
    1979 XS1100 - "Blue Belle"

Nope. . . . the speedometer and odometer are cable driven from the front wheel . . . check and see if maybe it got unscrewed or loosened on the speedometer . . .
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Speedo cable test

Put the bike on the center stand and remove the cable from the speedo. Turn the front wheel in the proper direction of rotation and look to see if the end of the cable is turning. If it is, then the speedo, or cable are suspect. If not, then you need to check the speedo drive which is attached to the wheel at the axle on the left side. Remove the cable, and look inside with a flashlight, and turn the wheel again. You should be able to see it turning inside. If it doesn't turn, then the drive is bad. If it turns also, then pull the metal cable from it's housing and check if it is broken inside. They are still available from independent bike shops, and maybe a dealer. I don't know if you'll be able to find a drive there or not.

Comment

Thanks for your response! I'll check the things mentioned (I hope this weekend!)
        1979 XS1100 - "Blue Belle"

Comment

Working...
        X