Resistor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resistor question

Hey all, I am not very knowledgeable on the electrical side of motorcycles and am curious what part the resistor on an XS11 plays?

I am having some issues starting my bike and am wondering if this might play a part. I have some starter button/kill switch troubleshooting to do first, but thought that I'd ask anyway.

Thanks
    Andrew
    -Andrew

80 XS11 G: Project bike

My understanding is the TCI was engineered to have 3 ohm resistance from the coils. In order to meet that resistance load they ended up using a 1.5 ohm resistor as the stock coils are 1.5 ohms... If you decide to replace the stock coils you should get 3 ohm coils and ditch the resistor... its important you use 3 ohm coils or you will kill your TCI.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

sorry, but what is a TCI?
      -Andrew

Comment

The ballast resistor is there for starting purposes only. As Wade said, the TCI can only drive a 3 ohm (or higher) coil steadily, a lower resistance coil will draw too much current and burn up the TCI. The resistor plus coil resistance gives that 3 ohms.

When you push the starter button, the ballast resistor is bypassed (increasing voltage to the coils) and you get a hotter spark. This momentary load won't hurt the TCI and aids starting.

The 'TCI' is your ignition control box ('transistor controlled ignition').
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

How can I test whether the resistor is still working or not?
          -Andrew

Comment

Bypass it temporarily by plugging the two wires that connect to it together; if the bike now starts, the resistor is bad.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

You could measure its resistance by using a DMM across the two leads...
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Working...
              X