No announcement yet.

"81 Midnight Special pile of parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been slowly working on the project.I recently got a second wind.
    Here is the latest. I took the u-joint and yoke apart and cleaned and regreased it. Then reassembled the yoke and installed the swingarm, driveshaft, and final drive. I also bought new Kenda tires and had them mounted. I just installed the wheels tonight. I also disassembled the forks and cleaned everything, installed new fork seals, and reassembled the forks.And installed the forks.
    I just realized I am missing one bracket that holds the rear master cylinder.So I will have to make a new one of those.

80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Wow, that was a big advancement from a painted frame, to almost a finished bike! Looking good!
      BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
      80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

A little more progress

I have been installing the wiring harness, headlight bucket, turn signals, fenders.......etc. Even with a lot of dis-assembly pics, it is hard to get the routing right. I had to drill a broken bolt from the rear fender that a PO had left. Next I will be figuring out the fuse box wire routing and installation.

80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Well I got this thing together and rode it up theblock and back yesterday. It has a bad tranny. Won't stay in first, and now I can't even get it in first. I guess I'm going in. Ive never had to mess with the trans on one yet,and I've had 7 different xs11'S. So,this should be a treat.
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Look at the pictures in the tech tip and take your time. It's a piece of cake.
            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

81 sh

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
              Well I got this thing together and rode it up theblock and back yesterday. It has a bad tranny. Won't stay in first, and now I can't even get it in first. I guess I'm going in. Ive never had to mess with the trans on one yet,and I've had 7 different xs11'S. So,this should be a treat.
              Your build is great ! Want to share the trans fix ? I just picked up an SH that won't stay in 1st or 2nd.
              76 XS650 C ROADSTER
              80 XS650 G Special II
              https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
              80 XS 1100 SG
              81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
              https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
              AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
                Your build is great ! Want to share the trans fix ? I just picked up an SH that won't stay in 1st or 2nd.
                See the repair section of the forum, its a tech tip how to...
                '79 XS11 F
                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I've read through the trans tech tips. I just hope the gears aren't too torn up when I get it apart.
                  80 SG XS1100
                  14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I got the trans out.What a P.I.T.A.. I Flipped it over with the help of my neighbor. I'm sure that helped a lot. But, wrestling the gears out was a bear.
                    Inside I found some nasty sludge in the pan. I was surprised since the motor runs great and doesn't smoke or knock or make any strange noises. Aside from the trans gatling gun sound.
                    Anyway,here's a link to my album on the trans stuff.Please take a look and offer your thoughts.
                    Also, I plan on using Tribond to replace the side cover and pan gaskets. Anyone see a problem with that?

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/tar...y/XS11%20Trans

One other thing, should I worry about the counter shaft and gears? I'm not seeing an easy way to remove them.The gears don't look that bad to me on the countershaft.
                    Last edited by tarzan; 07-16-2013, 10:31 PM.
                    80 SG XS1100
                    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

You can see what gears are bad! If you can get new ones, it would be best, IMHO. If not, do the dremel fix, but go LIGHT on the dogs, as they will end up thin. Main thing is get rid of the rounded ends on top, and try and cut about 2 degrees on the dogs, and an opposite 2 degree on the mating gears.
                      Yes, I've seen gears in MY bike worse, but I had a "spare" transmission to work with. The other shaft is the MAIN shaft, and it should be good.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ihave another engine in the shed that has nocylindersor side covers on it.It is out of the frame I'm using. It may have good gears.I also added a pic to my photos of the end of the shift drum. The star washer has two prongs bent. So, hopefully I have enough parts. Otherwise I will hunt that down.
                        Is there an easy way to remove the gears from the motor and reinstall. I didn't seem to have the right technique removing this one. Hopefully the other one will be easier.
                        80 SG XS1100
                        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Working...
                        X