"81 Midnight Special pile of parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "81 Midnight Special pile of parts

I picked up this bike today cheap. The PO decided to cut the rear seat rails off....hhmmm. I want to use the frame, so I may weld new ends on it. It has the the original exhaust, but one side has a small dent and scratches.
    I'm wondering if I can use the pickup coils out of this '81 motor in an '80 motor?I am assuming so.

Anyway, here are a few pics of the parts.

80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

I don't know...the pickup coils I think are the same, but the advance assembly with it is different in 81. If you separate them you may be OK.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

So, are you selling any of those parts?? I have the same road rash on the right side exhaust - would be nice to swap it out. I also might be interested in front brake calipers.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
        So, are you selling any of those parts?? I have the same road rash on the right side exhaust - would be nice to swap it out. I also might be interested in front brake calipers.
        I'm sure I will be selling some parts from this bike. I'm just not sure what, yet.
        I may be willing to sell the exhaust as well.
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Another project bike with the owner in over his head results in a pile of parts.
          Good catch, what a shame
          1970? Honda Z50... gone
          1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
          1974 Honda CB200... gone
          1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
          1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
          2008 Honda VTX 1800F
          1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
          1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

Originally posted by WSL91 View Post
            Another project bike with the owner in over his head results in a pile of parts.
            Good catch, what a shame
            I know, it's a shame. It looks like it was in pretty good shape before it was hacked up too. It apparently only had 24,000 miles on it.
            80 SG XS1100
            14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by WSL91 View Post
              Good catch, what a shame
              Haha, I am feeling the same way with my MNS, only 22,000 KMS on it and it is just frustrating how much I need to learn.. haha

Comment

Originally posted by Duaner View Post
                Haha, I am feeling the same way with my MNS, only 22,000 KMS on it and it is just frustrating how much I need to learn.. haha
                If you have any questions or problems just let me know I don't live very far from you. I live in the booniedoon area.
                '79 XS11SF

Comment

so, how much is motorcycle in boxes run these days for? I'm looking for project/parts bike for me....
                  Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

I finally got the frame reconstructed. I had to cut the tabs, brackets, and rear frame rails of of another frame to fix this one. These two pictures are the same frame that is up a few posts from this one. I'm not going to restore the bike back to the Midnight it was, due to the fact it is missing so many key pieces. So I will be building it more as a regular Special. The donor bike is an 80 SPecial. This frame is an 81 Midnight.

80 SG XS1100
                    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Wow !!!

That's quite an undertaking.

Great work on the rebirth of the frame.

I'm subscribed.
                      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
                        I picked up this bike today cheap. The PO decided to cut the rear seat rails off....hhmmm. I want to use the frame, so I may weld new ends on it. - - -
                        Hi Tarzan,
                        there's some as started with a worse pile o' parts and were able to turn it into a runner.
                        Most importantly, did you get papers with it?
                        I read that in some States the DMV Nazis delight in making things difficult for the restorer.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                          Hi Tarzan,
                          there's some as started with a worse pile o' parts and were able to turn it into a runner.
                          Most importantly, did you get papers with it?
                          I read that in some States the DMV Nazis delight in making things difficult for the restorer.
                          Yes, I did gets title with this one.Thats the only reason I went through that much trouble to cut and weld all the stuff from one frame to another. The complete frame I had, didn't,t have papers.The hacked up Midnight did.
                          80 SG XS1100
                          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Kind of funny when you think about it, you had to cut one frame up and weld the cut off parts onto a second frame because it was against the law to stamp the numbers from the second frame on to the first frame. End result is pretty much the same though...

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
                            Yes, I did gets title with this one.Thats the only reason I went through that much trouble to cut and weld all the stuff from one frame to another. The complete frame I had, didn't,t have papers.The hacked up Midnight did.
                            Guy

1980 XS1100G - Frankenstein - resurrected from the impound lot
                            1991 Suzuki GS500E (not running yet)
                            2003 Burgman AN400 - Blue Belle
                            2005 Burgman AN400 - Silver Belle

Comment

frame

Dang...wish i had seen this post earlier...I have a perfect 81 frame......just don't have a title for it.....oh well...anyone need a good frame that can get a title let me know...I'm in S.C.
                              At this time:
                              1985 Goldwing Innr.
                              1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                              2007 vtx 1300
                              81 sx 1100 s h
                              81 sx 400 special

Comment

Working...
                              X