More help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More help

Right......think I've traced most of the problems.

Carbs - tiny, tiny pin prick hole in the float on #1 so float was filling with petrol and not....well floating.
    - two diaphrams have small holes in them

Advance/retard mechanism not holding vacuum

Now I'm hoping to be able to repair the carbs to last a few months until the winter strip down and then replace them (please somebody, find a straight swop!) but I don't know what to do about the A/r mechanism. I seem to recall reading that a more modern system, coupled with new carbs works but can't find the thread.

Any suggestions?

Looks like you have an 80 model bike. Being across the pond, I assume you still have the later model carbs in that bike. I found a new slide for mine with the diaphram for about $50 IIRC. The plastic float having a hole is very unusual, but I happen to have four of them sitting in a bag in the work shop.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Camulus View Post
      Right......think I've traced most of the problems.

Carbs - tiny, tiny pin prick hole in the float on #1 so float was filling with petrol and not....well floating.
      - two diaphrams have small holes in them

Advance/retard mechanism not holding vacuum

Now I'm hoping to be able to repair the carbs to last a few months until the winter strip down and then replace them (please somebody, find a straight swop!) but I don't know what to do about the A/r mechanism. I seem to recall reading that a more modern system, coupled with new carbs works but can't find the thread.

Any suggestions?
      I'd leave it standard. The advance diaphragm assembly is easily replaced. I've sold three of them on eBay for less than £25 over the last two years. They do come up regularly. Even NOS.

Slide diaphragms are best from the USA and it's easy to replace them on your existing slides.

A straight swop may not be best, you know. Personally, I would strip and clean the carbs throroughly, replace the four diaphragms and also the float needle valve assemblies. Check the small hemispherical filters above the float valve assemblies.

Are your inlet manifolds OK?

A full carb strip and clean is easy enough if you don't split the bank of carbs. You need compressed ar too. Vital for cleaning passageways
      Last edited by James England; 08-21-2012, 11:57 AM.
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I agree with everything James said but, if your still considering carb swap then the ZRX carbs are a close as it gets for being bolt-on. Your over the pond so if you could dig up a set off a Yamaha XJR they might work as well but we have no idea if they will require any more or less modification than the ZRX... Shop around on ebay, you should be able to buy new diaphragms, plastic floats and you advance mechanism for cheaper than a set of used ZRX carbs...
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Okay.....well I think the carb repair will hold (brass solder on the float and rubber glue - cement you call it I think, which is something completely different over here) and a s/h vacuum unit.

Overall, unless a different bikes carbs were a straight bolt on and had the advantage of being newer I doubt that I'll bother - seems to me it's a minefield even trying to put on pod filters and get these things running properly!

Thanks for the input and I'll wait to see what's next to fail (oh...other than a fork seal which let go last week and on inspection must have been put in when God was a child!!)

Comment

careful about adding any weight to the float...it will change it's floating ability...make sure you check fuel level with carbs upright, and level, with a piece of clear tubing attached to the drain...

just my .02
            Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Originally posted by Camulus View Post
              Okay.....well I think the carb repair will hold (brass solder on the float
              Not a good idea. You'll affect the weight of the float and it will alter the float needle height. I'd buy a new float off eBay... or a good used one. I would definitely not use a float that you've soldered yourself.......

BTW, looking at the carbs on my XJR1300, I reckon they'd fit directly onto an XS1100
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                BTW, looking at the carbs on my XJR1300, I reckon they'd fit directly onto an XS1100
                Common man, dont tease us like that.
                '79 XS11 F
                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Not doing the soldering myself....trusting to a local shop.

I've also got a secondhand set of carbs coming to either mix 'n match or refurbish over winter.

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                    Common man, dont tease us like that.
                    Honestly, I do think they'd fit straight on! The look similarly spaced, similar manifolds......I reckon a set would fit virtually straight on..... I've seen them on eBay for less than a set of XS1100 ones and, of course, they aren't 30 years old.....

Comment

a cpl of guys over here are using the xjr carbs,
                      but they still need to be rejetted.
                      pete

new owner of
                      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                      zrx carbs
                      18mm float height
                      145 main jets
                      38 pilots
                      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
                      X