starter motor and lucas fuel additive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter motor and lucas fuel additive

i richened up the fuel mix b4 trailering my SH to Georgia from Chicago to pickup my gf so we could take a ride into the mtns. i also added Lucas Upper Cyl Lubricant/Fuel Conditioner at 1oz per 3.3gal. now i pulled my plugs after returning and found the faces reddish/brown. i cleanded them turned the mix down 1/8, test drove pulled plugs, much better, lighter more towards tan. ive read that MMT Anti Knock additve causes this but i dont know if its in Lucas.
    so my question is if anyone using Lucas notice the plugs more of a brown due to the additves. the label doesnt list the chemical aditives.

so when ive been doing the mix testing, i noticed my starter is acting up. when i start, it turns it over, the suddenly the starter whines and doesnt turn the motor gear. is this a DIY fix? are parts avail?
    Thanx
    Last edited by mjpxs11sh; 08-18-2012, 09:16 PM.
    Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
    Kerker 4/1
    stock carbs and air box.
    78 headlite, handle bars,
    1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
    crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
    78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
    94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Most any additives will give plugs a little more color and add in a reddish color as well.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by mjpxs11sh View Post
      i noticed my starter is acting up. when i start, it turns it over, the suddenly the starter whines and doesnt turn the motor gear. is this a DIY fix? are parts avail?
      Starter clutch might be on it's way out unless possibly you are using some super slippery synthetic oil. Parts are availible and it is a do it yourself job if you don't mind cracking the cases.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
      X