Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake light switch on front brake lever layout??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake light switch on front brake lever layout??

Hi all, pretty new here but already got all the info i need for my newly acquired 79 xs 1100 Special thanks to XS11.com , all except this one!! Ok, so on the front brake lever there is a spring loaded `switch` that puts the brake light on when you hit the front brake, mine shot out when i took it off to repair the front master cylinder, i should know better after 40 years of 2 wheels. There is one brass rod, one spring, one small brass washer, 2 plastic `spacers`that obviously slide onto the rod and finally 1 brass spacer. Please could anyone tell me which order do they all fit onto the brass rod from the end that the rod makes contact with the brake lever itself ? !! She`s a great bike and i`ve done all the big stuff but this small little part has got me puzzled
    79 SF

I recommend just buying a new one for $6.50, Part #12-0044.....

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-73.html#products
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      I recommend just buying a new one for $6.50, Part #12-0044.....

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-73.html#products
      Yup! They get weak after 33 years.

Welcome!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

A new switch is not alot of money, but I am not patient enough to wait for one if I can fix the one I have and be done today. I might still order the new one, but I would use the one I have till it gets there.

With that in mind, the rod will go in first, the spring goes over the rod, then you put the washer on, a plstic spacer, the brass spacer, and the last plastic spacer. The plastic ones are different sizes, so you will need to try it to see which order they go in. Just think of how it works, when not being pushed in, the brass spacer should not contact the brass arms inside the switch. When you squeeze the brake lever the switch gets depressed and the brass should now contact the arms inside the switch.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Nathan and thanks Banshee, appreciate the help. I will go and get my microscope out and join all the bits together knowing that if they shoot off across the garage again i don`t have to try and find them, just get one on line--Thanks again--Jerro
          79 SF

Comment

Working...
          X