About to Carb Sync

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to Carb Sync

I bought a 4 gauge carb sync tool and I'm going to try and sync the carbs tomorrow. I know that I need to install the little plastic valves to minimize needle flutter but is there anything else I'm missing?

Compression is good, carbs have been thoroughly cleaned and I know to warm the bike up before hand. The instructions that came with the sync tool mention the choke being open during the sync but I feel thats kind of wrong. Any tips and pointers would be much appreciated as this is my first carb sync.

1978 XS1100E

Dyna Coils
    K&N Filter
    16'' Rear Wheel
    4-1 Exhaust
    Kerker Muffler
    Firestone Deluxe Champion Tires
    Custom Seat and Fender

JCruze,
    When they say the choke should be "open" it means it should be OFF. That's the normal operating position. "Closed" means it's restricting air intake to maximize fuel delivery.
    Oh yeah, make sure your idle speed is at 1.1k when you're synching, and check the needle progress as you rev it up as well as where they settle afterward. Adjust accordingly.
    MAKE SURE ALL DIALS OF THE SYNCH TOOL ARE OPERATING PROPERLY AND SYNCHED, USE A MIGHTY VAC TO VERIFY THAT, AND ADJUST ACCORDINGLY.
    Last edited by Cobia; 08-15-2012, 11:55 PM.
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Choke operation would normally refer to a restrictor to limit air flow. So it being open would equate to it not effecting the performance of the system. These carbs do not have an actual "choke", they use an enrichment cicuit, meaning they add fuel to the mixture instead of restricting air flow. So you are correct, once the engine is warmed up good, you do not want your enrichment curcuit open.

As Robert stated, you do want to calibrate the gages first. Each gage may well (and probably will) read slightly different from the same vacuum source. So either use a known vacuum source, like a Mity-Vac, or hook each gage up to the same cylinder one at a time. This will let you see how different they read at about the vacuum they will be measuring. You can then mark where the needle is at for the same vacuum reading on all four of them, defining the new "zero" for each gage in a way. So now you can determine their reading not from the actual factory numbers, but how far off they are from that "zero" indicator. Note, that your final vacuum for all four may well not be that "zero" point, but they all should be the same offset from their individual "zero" points.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Thanks guys, working on it now.

1978 XS1100E

Dyna Coils
        K&N Filter
        16'' Rear Wheel
        4-1 Exhaust
        Kerker Muffler
        Firestone Deluxe Champion Tires
        Custom Seat and Fender

Comment

When I calibrated my gauges I picked up 3 little plastic T's from the pet store. Hooked 1+2 and 3+4 together, then hooked in the 3rd T between the pairs so I could suck on the line and make sure all 4 were showing the same. I check that way before I use them every time now.
          Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
          Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
          Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
          Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
          Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
          K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
          81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

How can you tell that the amount of vacuum you are applying equals the readout ?

Seems very unscientific to me.

j/k - Sounds like a good procedure - good luck synching!

John
            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

John he is an EOS.....Equal Opportunity Sucker! He sucks equally from all sources......umm...wait...not sure that sounded right.

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Was told they all just need to match. Doesnt matter what the vacuum level is. Easy to do when all hooked together.
                Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
                Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
                Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
                Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
                Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
                K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by Tat2demon View Post
                  Was told they all just need to match. Doesnt matter what the vacuum level is. Easy to do when all hooked together.
                  This would be correct.
                  "Liars and panderers in government would have a much harder time of it if so many people didn't insist on their right to remain ignorant and blindly agreeable.” -Bill Maher

Comment

They all need to be at the same vacuum level. Only reason I differentiate is that if you do not calibrate a four gage setup, getting the same reading across all four is not the same as all four at the same vacuum level.

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

As you will be doing this with an already warmed up engine, DO NOT forget to have a fan blowing on the engine. The first time you do it will take longer than you think, after that it is a breeze. The other thing to keep in mind is the engine RPM which should be as low as practicable or normal idle for these which is 1050 to 1100 or there abouts.
                      Also be sure of the correct procedure for adjusting the Carbs. #3 is your one that you have to adjust too. Balance #3 to #4 Then adjust #1 to #2, then do your adjustments to #1 and #2 to #3 and #4.
                      Clear as mud? Try this site http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr6_Q...eature=related
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                        As you will be doing this with an already warmed up engine, DO NOT forget to have a fan blowing on the engine. The first time you do it will take longer than you think, after that it is a breeze. The other thing to keep in mind is the engine RPM which should be as low as practicable or normal idle for these which is 1050 to 1100 or there abouts.
                        Also be sure of the correct procedure for adjusting the Carbs. #3 is your one that you have to adjust too. Balance #3 to #4 Then adjust #1 to #2, then do your adjustments to #1 and #2 to #3 and #4.
                        Clear as mud? Try this site http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr6_Q...eature=related
                        close to mud..........three's the 'fixed' carb.......adjust #4 to #3(last screw).......#1to#2(first screw from left).......then bring the pairs together with center screw. R-adjust idle mixture.........and again re-sync. That re-sync SHOULD be done at lowest RPM motor will idle smoothly. Normally, that'll be around 800rpm's. After happy with results, re-adjust idle back up to its normal 1100rpm.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          close to mud..........three's the 'fixed' carb.......adjust #4 to #3(last screw).......#1to#2(first screw from left).......then bring the pairs together with center screw. R-adjust idle mixture.........and again re-sync. That re-sync SHOULD be done at lowest RPM motor will idle smoothly. Normally, that'll be around 800rpm's. After happy with results, re-adjust idle back up to its normal 1100rpm.
                          Just wondering if you checked the video I posted as well. Kinda makes mud see through. When you say "last screw" I wonder how much clearer it makes the mud...Just saying. Also once a synch is achieved one must run the bike and do chops etc to make sure everything is the best it can be. If you want good mileage and good performance then you do all the steps.
                          2-79 XS1100 SF
                          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I find it very interesting to see how nitpicky some people get about things that mean very little. for instance getting focused on the order of the first pair to synch. What difference is there if you synch 1 and 2 first or 3 and 4 first. None really. Either way, you are synching those pairs together.

Then you can synch the two pairs to each other with the center synch screw. No matter which two you started with, your going to be bringing the 1-2 pair to match the 3-4 pair. That middle screw does not change the throttle plate of 3 or 4. It does change no 2 throttle plate and by virtue of the synch screw between them, changes 1 to follow.

And why synch at a lower idle than where you will be running. I always synch at the normal idle speed.

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                            X