Cam Chain Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Chain Life

I have seen a lot of posts about worn cam chains on the site.

Wondering if anyone has any experience on when these chains wear out as far as time/mileage.

MP
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

I have 65K miles on mine, never been changed. I have the auto cam chain tensioner which extends the normal service limit of the chain a bit as opposed to the stock unit which runs out of travel/adjustment sooner.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

50K, mine was toast. YMMV
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
        50K, mine was toast. YMMV
        With or without the automatic tensioner? CZ

Comment

so, if an xs1100 owner is somewhat maintenance intensive and adjusts the cam chain regularly does that eliminate the "need" for an automatic tensioner?
          do the stock chains/tensioners fail routinely simply from mileage or from neglect?

Comment

Originally posted by 650mark View Post
            so, if an xs1100 owner is somewhat maintenance intensive and adjusts the cam chain regularly does that eliminate the "need" for an automatic tensioner?
            do the stock chains/tensioners fail routinely simply from mileage or from neglect?
            The ACCT eliminates the "need" for adjustment and yes the stock tensioners fail/slip routinely due to design. Not to mention leak oil.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by 650mark View Post
              Just from a physics standpoint, I would say that keeping it adjusted would prolong its life. Less flapping around means less movement against the chain pins.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                With or without the automatic tensioner? CZ
                That was with the stock tensioner. I bought an ACCT. When I removed the original unit, I discovered it was fully extended.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                  That was with the stock tensioner. I bought an ACCT. When I removed the original unit, I discovered it was fully extended.
                  Are you the original owner? Do you know what oil change intervals, and what oils were used from the time it was new?
                  All of these things have a bearing on chain life, and to get a good idea of how long a chain will last would require a comparison of all the variables associated with the life span of the chains.
                  So far, you're the benchmark.
                  Thanks for the input, CZ

Comment

How much extra travel does the ACCT provide? I recently discovered that some brands of aftermarket cam chains are a couple off mm longer than the OEM ones. Might be able to get some more life out of them instead of losing a lot of travel on the initial adjustment.
                    79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
                    Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                    *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
                    *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

IIRC I want to say about .25" longer plunger.

John
                      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                        Are you the original owner? Do you know what oil change intervals, and what oils were used from the time it was new?
                        All of these things have a bearing on chain life, and to get a good idea of how long a chain will last would require a comparison of all the variables associated with the life span of the chains.
                        So far, you're the benchmark.
                        Thanks for the input, CZ
                        I bought the bike with 10K on it in 2003. My oil changes are irregular. I sometimes change it at 1500 miles and sometimes almost 4K. I have used a good bit of Mobil 1 and Shell Rotella. Until recently, I've been using Yamalube. Right now it has Valvoline 20W50 motorcycle oil in it that I bought on sale.

I often ride hard in the mountains. I like lots of RPM and on and off the throttle. I'm very often two-up as well.

How much extra travel does the ACCT provide? I recently discovered that some brands of aftermarket cam chains are a couple off mm longer than the OEM ones. Might be able to get some more life out of them instead of losing a lot of travel on the initial adjustment.
                        The ACCT I bought has less travel than the OEM unit. I don't remember how much less. I bought an EK chain from Z1 Enterprises. After installation, it's tight enough to run with no tensioner. (No, I didn't try it)
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Working...
                        X