No announcement yet.

K&N-Any real difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As for drilling/chopping the airbox, my 2¢. If you have factory exhaust I would not alter the airbox, If you are running a less restrictive aftermarket exhaust, say a 4-1, then opening up the air flow of the box and using a K&N will help your performance, JMHO
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

K&N filter

I recently went from the pods (which the po installed) to the stock air cleaner with a K&N filter with the holes drilled in the bottom. (bought on E-Bay)My bike runs smother and has better throttle control. I'm not convinced the filter made the difference. I believe the difference came from air flow control of the stock air cleaner housing. some bikes don't responded well to pods. as for the holes, the colder the air that flows to the carbs the better.
      Mike. ...I've always been crazy...but it's kept me from going insane. "Waylon Jennings"

Comment

I should have mentioned that I have a four to one(header) on the bike.
        Mike. ...I've always been crazy...but it's kept me from going insane. "Waylon Jennings"

Comment

as for the holes, the colder the air that flows to the carbs the better.

I've got the pod filters and I have to be careful. The bike runs best in the pouring rain, sucking in that wet, dense, cold air. It sucks that a bike runs best when the roads and paint stripes are slickest.. lol.
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
            I've got the pod filters and I have to be careful. The bike runs best in the pouring rain, sucking in that wet, dense, cold air. It sucks that a bike runs best when the roads and paint stripes are slickest.. lol.
            I really hate those new heat and stick lines they use on roads these days.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Runs better wet.

Typically, if an engine "likes" humidity (more water vapor in the air), it is too lean. If it is the other way around (does not like humidiy and is slower), it is too rich. Either way, riding in the rain should be left to Waverunners.

MP
              1981 XS1100H Venturer
              K&N Air Filter
              ACCT
              Custom Paint by Deitz
              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              EBC Front Rotors
              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                Typically, if an engine "likes" humidity (more water vapor in the air), it is too lean. If it is the other way around (does not like humidiy and is slower), it is too rich. Either way, riding in the rain should be left to Waverunners.

MP

The plugs look good and engine temps don't show it gets hot, but yes, a tad on the lean side from the pod filters is possible, though the mains are one size larger. Next size up was too rich.

If you have decent rain gear and boots, riding in the rain can be WONDERFUL! It forces you to slow down in curves to where you have time to look around, and you will NEVER get stuck behind some obnoxious sounding V-twin. (Or other fair-weather riders) I do usually see some Goldwings while wet riding. Any bike you pass while in the rain and you get a nearly 100% wave or thumbs up. These are the people that understand what it's all about. Some people love to ride. Period. I try not to ride when there's packed ice on the roads, but have when it was just in spots while trying to get home. I rode almost 1200 miles one day where the WARMEST it got was 37 F. I've riden when it was 7 degrees and prefer that to riding in the 115+ degrees I've been in. Snow, rain, sleet, hail, wet or dry.. just ride. Only thing I regularly pull over and seek cover from is lightning. Brent from Georgia is my hero and I wanna be just like him someday when I grow up... just.. without the mustache or "ceegars".
                Last edited by trbig; 08-17-2012, 08:36 AM.
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  You probably have it just like you want it. I have a bike that runs better when the air is cooler, probably meaning that it is running on the rich side... Maybe the cooler air from the rain is having an effect?
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                  X