No announcement yet.

Ok you brake and fork gurus!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't recall just what was before. I just installed new mounting bolts today, and the surge is all but gone. Don't have a clue why. Why would it force the rotor over to the point of measuring that far out? Just weird if you ask me. The brakes still aren't enough for this bike, but i can live with that. I think i will buy a couple more bolts to have on hand. Don't know if i will try to figure this out. My mind has been through enough. Damn Specials brakes anyway. Happy they are smooth though.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Hi Newbie. The brakes on my SF were bloody hopeless when I bought it. A change recently to braided lines and sintered (metallic) brake pads transformed them into what I'd call good brakes, powerful enough to lock the wheel if I try hard enough but with plenty of feel. Still not up to the standards of todays bikes but they'll do me!
      79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
      Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
      *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
      *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

I can't seem to find sintered pads for the Special.
        1980 XS1100LG Midnight
        1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
        A quick death and an easy one.
        A pretty girl and an honest one.
        A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Bremzen lists sintered pads for the Special. I sent them money. They sent me nothing but lip service. Based on my experience, I recommend staying away from them. If your search takes you there, try to remember my warning.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Hey Mike/Tad,

That's good to know that the bolts are a big part/cause of pulsing when they are bent!

Newbie, sintered pads are more for Racing bike applications, they actually work better when they are heated up a bit, like in racing action, but not as good for regular road type riding. They also can cause faster wear and tear on the rotors.

Stainless steel lines are one of the better mods to improve performance, others recommend newer style master cylinders.

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Newbie, here's the part numbers for the pads I run. They're SBS pads #545HF & #528HF. These work great right from the get go. Haven't noticed any wear on the discs in 60,000 klms of use, so they're not too harsh on them.
              79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
              Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
              *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
              *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Originally posted by Eveready1100 View Post
                Newbie, here's the part numbers for the pads I run. They're SBS pads #545HF & #528HF. These work great right from the get go. Haven't noticed any wear on the discs in 60,000 klms of use, so they're not too harsh on them.
                I recently went with SBS as well, upon someone's recomendation here. These are ceramic pads. I like them just fine. As a bonus, I sourced the pads from Ron Ayers for $30! Both left and right!

1721-0238 and 1721-0240 are the new part numbers for the Special.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Working...
                X