carb issue? maybe not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb issue? maybe not?

my all stock '80 xs1100sg is running leaner on 1+2 than on 3+4. bike runs like new(very strong with no issues at all) 13,600 miles, new spark plugs. plugs 1+2 are white 3+4 are a very little bit grey. any opinions? thanks

They need richening up then!
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Need more raw data on your machine before any valuable help can be offered,
      remember GIGO?
      '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

sorry, i think my question should have been why leaner on one side than the other? these carbs have not been off the bike or fooled with since new.

Comment

Originally posted by 650mark View Post
          sorry, i think my question should have been why leaner on one side than the other? these carbs have not been off the bike or fooled with since new.
          Float level changed? ( Plastic float soaking up gas )
          Blockage in idle air bleed? ( Dirt or varnish in jet )
          Blockage in the idle needle seat? ( Dirt or gum in seat or needle )
          Disfunction in the slide operation? ( hanging open )

All of the preceding could be a cause, and happen without any input on your parts, other than neglect in maintenance of the air filter.
          Tell us what you have or haven't done, and we'll give you some better answers. CZ

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
            Float level changed? ( Plastic float soaking up gas )
            Blockage in idle air bleed? ( Dirt or varnish in jet )
            Blockage in the idle needle seat? ( Dirt or gum in seat or needle )
            Disfunction in the slide operation? ( hanging open )

All of the preceding could be a cause, and happen without any input on your parts, other than neglect in maintenance of the air filter.
            Tell us what you have or haven't done, and we'll give you some better answers. CZ
            I would say that if you are going to monkey with the carbs, you need to color a set of plugs for each range of throttle. Start high, check plugs, them middle range, the low range. Blockage in the air bleeds makes the fuel richer. If the floats are heavier then the fuel level would be higher (richer). If the slides are hanging open, again, I think there would be a richer condition.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
            03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

have u synced the carbs,
              if the left bank is out from the right bank
              then that could cause a similar problem
              to what ur experiencing.
              pete

new owner of
              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
              1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
              zrx carbs
              18mm float height
              145 main jets
              38 pilots
              slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
              fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by 650mark View Post
                sorry, i think my question should have been why leaner on one side than the other? these carbs have not been off the bike or fooled with since new
                I would say the bolded section is the key. 30 years is a long time for crap to build up....
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                X