Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cam cover leaking. Cant seem to stop it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam cover leaking. Cant seem to stop it.

After messing the my timing the other day, I re-installed my cam chain cover with a bead of black RTV as recommended. Seemed to be leaking pretty badly at the corners of the cam caps. So, I removed the cover and cleaned all the goop off with carp cleaner and a scotchbrite bad. Took the cam cover in the house and scrubbed it clean with simple green and a scotchbrite.

I even cut a new new gasket and installed it dry on the clean surfaces.

Installed and it STILL leaks between the cam cover and head on the ends by the cam plugs.

Any ideas before I slather the whole thing in Indian Shelac guaranteeing it will NEVER leak or come apart again?
    1) Fire up Internet Explorer
    2) http://www.yahoo.com
    3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
    4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

replace the cam plugs and get a new gasket... JAT
    Steven

1981 XS 1100 LH
    1979 XS 1100 SF

Comment

Those cam cover end plugs shrink with time. You are best off getting a new set and putting a bead of RTV around the edges. You could also do that with the old ones but the chances of it leaking are greater. I prefer using "The Right Stuff" brand RTV sealer, seems to work much better for me than the regular Permatex, YMMV, JMHO.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

You need extra RTV on those plugs. As said, they shrink over time and need more building up with the RTV.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I figured they were shrinking.

I cleaned off all the oil and got the metal shiny again. It seems that the gasket wasn't sealing on the TOPS of the plugs due to the shrinkage. lol.

I used the black RTV and made a pretty good bead around that whole corner on both sides of the gasket on top of the plugs. Waiting 1 hour before I tighten. Then guess I wait till it cures for 24 hours.

Trying to put off as much work until winter on the bike. Plan on replacing a bunch of crap when the snow flies.

It's nice to have the '11 in the living room to work on.

Comment

Go to the automotive store and get the blue permatex form a gasket sealant put a good heavy bead any place you have a leak gently set the cover on it leave the screw out do not tighten let sit 15 minutes and then tighten finger tight let set an hour and tighten down to the normal setting I think about 7 foot lbs and if you got all the spots that leaked they should quit now. Tomorrow you can use single edge razor to trim any excess off ouside.
            To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
            1980 G Silverbird
            Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
            1198 Overbore kit
            Grizzly 660 ACCT
            Barnett Clutch Springs
            R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
            122.5 Main Jets
            ACCT Mod
            Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
            Antivibe Bar ends
            Rear trunk add-on
            http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

The black RTV worked like a charm on the cam plugs with the new gasket I made.

Good way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon in the kitchen..

Purchase 24" x 36" rubber gasket material.. Got to use my old gasket iron again! It gets used when I do my auto-transmissions on the vehicles. They ALWAYS shove the new pan gasket in the bottom of the filter box. lol

Trace around the cam cover and use parts of the old gasket to make a template. Found out that the cam cover is NOT the same on both ends. One side is longer.

Made a hole punch out of an old 5/32 socket that I sharpened on the grinder. lol. Worked like a charm.

Comment

Made a hole punch out of an old 5/32 socket that I sharpened on the grinder. lol. Worked like a charm.

Many, like me, just use an old paper punch to pop out the bolt holes. Most dollar stores have them for a buck or two.

I used to make all my gaskets as well, but after many trial and errors, discovered that I had better luck with no gaskets and using just the gasket sealer on the surfaces. As a much added plus, when I pull something apart, the very labor-intensive gasket scraping chore is no more. Many still prefer gaskets. YMMV.
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  Many, like me, just use an old paper punch to pop out the bolt holes. Most dollar stores have them for a buck or two.
                  I searched all the junk drawers in the house and all I found was a McDonalds "M" punch(?) for those free punchcards they do once in a while. Didn't feel like running to the dollar store. Improvised.

Comment

Working...
                  X