My First XS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First XS

Hi, I'm brand new to the forum and to owning a XS. I purchased an 81 SH just about a week ago. The bike is running but isn't exactly eyecandy. I got it for $900 down in Oklahoma and I hoping it was well worth my money. I've already replaced the rear tire as it was extremely worn when I purchased the bike but there are a few more things I'd like to take care of before I take it on a road trip rather than just riding it in town.

Here's what the bike looked/looks like right after I got it home.

On the list of things to do for the bike includes
    • Replace the fusebox
    • Get new fork uppers and replace fork seals
    • Replace intake boots
    • Replace drain cap for rear differential
    • Replace valve cover gasket
    • Replace base gasket
    • Reupholster seat
    • Replace Pods with factory airbox?
    • Get new brake reservoirs for front and rear
    • Fix/Replace Choke lever
    • Repair/Replace right muffler
    • Repaint gas tank

I also am having a little trouble with the shifting and sometime it slips in between gears. I didn't know if I need to try and do the 1st and 2nd gear repair with the dremel or just replace the friction rings. Also, the bike idles at just over 1000rpms when it first starts but after riding it, the idle is up to 2000rpms and I didn't know if this had to do with the pod air filters instead of the factory airbox.

Here are some pictures of the things I need to do so you can see for yourself what is most important and what I should make the top priority.

If you guys could let me know what you think needs done most and even post a link to a forum on how or what to do/get to perform that repair or mod that would be awesome. Thanks so much for helping me out and letting me be a member of this awesome site.
    81 SH

Hi and welcome to the site. Mine was kinda rough when I got it and I found a steelwool (for surface rust), some touch up paint,citrol (degreaser) really helped clean it up a lot. I'd say you would want to replace the cracked boots soon too, The gaskets would seem to be a much bigger project but I'll refer you to the experts here to address those, I'm clearly not one..lol Theres lots of great people here and a ton of experience so your in good hands. Good luck with the bike.
    81 H

Comment

Looks like it has spent some time outdoors. Although it does need some TLC, it would appear that you've landed yourself a prettty nice fish.

Bye the way, don't toss out those pods, someone here will take them off your hands if you wish to go OEM airbox (if you can find one still unmolested).

Heck, I might even take them.
      '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

those intake boots might be still good, it could be just cracks on outside, and you can fix it with some plasti-dip or silicone....good luck on finding a nice looking reservoirs...you would probably be better off and get a new MCs from MikeXS, IMHO

otherwise a nice find good luck on your adventure, I sure enjoy mine...
        Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

when i park my 81 mns for the winter i plan on doing some major work. i have the stock air box on it still and i would be willing to trade for your pods
          81 MNS

Comment

I've actually got the factory airbox. It just wasn't installed on the bike when I bought it. I was more wondering the advantages/disadvantages of pods vs the airbox. Thanks
            81 SH

Comment

Originally posted by motor mitch View Post
              I've actually got the factory airbox. It just wasn't installed on the bike when I bought it. I was more wondering the advantages/disadvantages of pods vs the airbox. Thanks
              The airbox has intake venturies that are part of the factory designed intake system.

The pods make it easy to take the carbs on and off. If you don't have well tuned carbs, you need to take them on and off a lot, to twiddle with them. If you have them right, you don't have to mess with them, other than the occasional sync job, just to satisfy your curiosity, and that does not require the airbox removal.
              CZ

Comment

Working...
              X