XJ Throttle Cable emergency...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ Throttle Cable emergency...

I am in a bit of a sticky situation. My 82 XJ11 throttle cable snapped today about 40 miles from my house. Fortunately, my brother was nearby in a car to give me a ride home. I rolled my XJ in a parking garage and left a note on it.

To complicate issues, I fly out of the country on Monday for 2 weeks, so I need to get it fixed in the next 48 hours.

Any suggestions on getting a throttle cable quickly? I live in Orange County, CA and the bike is in LA right now.

Any other suggestions for a temp fix to get it home? Or towing suggestions? I have access to a big truck, but I am not sure how to gett it into the truck without a major operation.

Thanks in advance for any reply and/or suggestions...
    '82 XJ1100

Jason

If the cable broke at one of the ends, they have those cable end ferrules that install with a set screw for repairs like this. Try the 'help' section of the auto parts store, good luck!
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Many bike places make them to order. Or.... set the bike to a high-ish tickover speed using the black throttle stop screw.... then ride the bike. 40 miles isn't much, depending on how much traffic there is. At 2k revs in top gear, it wouldn't take too long...
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

It didn't break at one end. Snapped in the middle.
        James - can you describe that in more detail? How can I keep it revved and get in gear, etc?
        '82 XJ1100

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by gringojason View Post
          It didn't break at one end. Snapped in the middle.
          James - can you describe that in more detail? How can I keep it revved and get in gear, etc?
          Turn the idle adjustment knob (don't remember where it is on the xj carbs) to adjust the idle up higher. Then you can still pull the clutch and put it in gear, it will just be a good hard clunk shifting into first. It will be a slow ride, but do able.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Same thing James said Nate.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Nate. I just rented a U-Haul motorcycle trailer. Gonna go get it now. I will use the idle trick to get it our of the parking garage and onto the trailer. Fortunately, I have a downhill slope to work with...
              '82 XJ1100

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                Same thing James said Nate.
                But he asked for more of an explanation Greg.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

LOL....Ok. I didn't see that. James just said it in the King/Queens english, not American english.

When are those English gonna learn to speak english?
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

U-Haul trailer worked great. Best $15 I have spent in a long time. The bike is back home safe and I'll order a new throttle cable to fix it when I get back from my trip. Thank you all for your suggestions and help...
                    '82 XJ1100

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                      LOL....Ok. I didn't see that. James just said it in the King/Queens english, not American english.

When are those English gonna learn to speak english?
                      'Two nations divided by a common language' as they say.....
                      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
                      X