Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hesitancy

Hi,
    I'm currently riding a 2H9 (European model) and with the help of this and the UK site I've maneged to sort most problems.

However, the bike has a real 'hesitancy' below 3K revs - past that it's a missile - I've taken the carbs off and soaked with carb cleaner and blown through with air - and it seems to be worse!

I can only describe it as like running on full choke (I'm not though)

Any, preferably, simple ideas??

Check the number of holes in the pilot jets. Should be 6 holes (not counting the hole in the end) in a 2-1-2-1 patter. If you have 8 holes or no holes you have the wrong style pilot jet.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Appreciate that, was hoping for something that didn't require another carb removal - my knuckles have hardly healed from the last one!

Removal and strip down is on the list for winter, so not yet - although with the current messed up climat we've got it might be sooner rather than later!

Comment

Did you do the tip for carb removal of undoing the top airbox bolts and lowering the airbox before carb removal? It's documented here on the forum. You'll find it gives just enough extra space to get the carbs out/in dead easy......
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by Camulus View Post
          However, the bike has a real 'hesitancy' below 3K revs - past that it's a missile - I've taken the carbs off and soaked with carb cleaner and blown through with air - and it seems to be worse!

I can only describe it as like running on full choke (I'm not though)

Any, preferably, simple ideas??
          Hey James/Nate,

I'm surprised that you didn't comment on the above bolded portion of his post!?

Camulus, you do NOT want to soak the carb bodies in caustic carb cleaner, that's a sure fire way of destroying your butterfly shaft seals and giving you some bad vacuum leaks!! Would suggest spritzing some carb cleaner or other combustible stuff around the shaft seals while it's running to see/hear if you notice any changes in rpms. IF so, then you've damaged your seals and you'll need to add that to your winter tear down list along with the carb cleaning. I think it's covered in the carb tech tip, but you'll need to grind off the ends of the shaft screws to be able to remove them, get some new ones that you can peen or use locktite to prevent new ones from working loose and getting sucked into the engine!

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Good point by TC, but doubtful those seals are damaged. Definitely lean on those two cyls. So easy to pull these carbs, would be a good choice and check the float levels on those lean two cyls. compared to the other two that are showing a good burn. When running correctly, these ARE a somewhat lean burn motor anyways. Overall, better to be a bit on the rich side, as I've already seen on here this riding season two motors with holed pistons. Don't think you really wanna be that third member to report this......just sayin.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
              Hey James/Nate,

I'm surprised that you didn't comment on the above bolded portion of his post!?

Camulus, you do NOT want to soak the carb bodies in caustic carb cleaner, that's a sure fire way of destroying your butterfly shaft seals and giving you some bad vacuum leaks!! Would suggest spritzing some carb cleaner or other combustible stuff around the shaft seals while it's running to see/hear if you notice any changes in rpms. IF so, then you've damaged your seals and you'll need to add that to your winter tear down list along with the carb cleaning. I think it's covered in the carb tech tip, but you'll need to grind off the ends of the shaft screws to be able to remove them, get some new ones that you can peen or use locktite to prevent new ones from working loose and getting sucked into the engine!

T.C.
              I don't feel that it is a sure fire way to cause leaks, that's why I didn't say anything at this point. I think people over react to soaking carbs. Can it cause problems, sure It can, but so can leaving the carbs to sit and dry out for 30....

Can the cleaner case the seal to swell, yeah some do, but it doesn't case them to fall apart. So if there are holes then they were there before. If anything soaking rubber causes the rubber to deteriorate and turn into a gummy sticky mess.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks for the input guys -

Yes I know the 'trick' for getting the carbs out but when you've got the hands of a cave troll it's still quite difficult!

I should have been more explanatory re the soaking, I soaked them first in paraffin (not sure but I tbink you call it kerosene) and then blew hrough with compressed air. I then sprayed carb cleaner into all the various orifices and again blew out with air, I didn't actually 'soak' them in carb cleaner.

It's strange but it had this hesitancy when I first got it, but since doing this it's got worse?

Comment

First off keep in mind, these bikes are a bit weak in the knees until around 3000 rpm, that's when they just start breathing well. What you descibe as hesitancy, you also describe as becoming worse after having monkeyed with the carbs, so if indeed you had an issue to begin with, and have made it worse, it is most assuredly linked to what work you performed on the carbs. Possibly, you mearly had a percieved issue, and perhaps have now created one?
                  You stated that you soaked the carbs, if you truly submerged them for any length of time while still assembled, they likely now have whatever solvent of your choice in the vacuum chambers above the jet needle diaphrams. That would not only affect performance but will likely result in dissolved diaphrams before too long
                  '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

hi Camulus,
                    next time u take the carbs off, check the 3
                    little off idle ports (3 on each carb) near the butterflys,
                    some could be partially blocked,
                    also as stated check ur float heights,
                    and when was the last time u checked ur valve clearances?
                    that can cause similar problems as uve described.
                    pete

new owner of
                    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                    zrx carbs
                    18mm float height
                    145 main jets
                    38 pilots
                    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Mike, you have a very good point there. And beyond that, Camulus doesn't mention stripping down the carbs before soaking.
                      Camulus,
                      Did you actually take the bowls, jets, valves, diaphram and needles, etc. out of the carbs before soaking them ? And then, did you shoot carb cleaner (with the straw) into every orifice and watched the fluid come out somewhere else?
                      If not, chances are you just did a cosmetic cleaning that made the outside look clean. Yet, inside all this soaking did was relocate the interior crud to a different location. In your case, sounds as if it went to a location with a more detrimental effect on performance.
                      1980G Standard, Restored
                      Kerker 4 - 1
                      850 Rear End Mod
                      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                      Automatic CCT
                      1980GH Special, Restored
                      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

No I didn't strip them down, was hoping that a general soaking would dissolve any contaminents.
                        Yes cleaner was sprayed into everything, but surely having ridden about 15 miles since there should be petrol where it's supposed to be and vacuum where it's supposed to be?

Comment

I have to agree with something clogging a port and the soaking just moved it someplace else.

Gunna have to tear them down....
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Check your intakes!

My intakes looked OK, but when my friend pulled them off, you could see on the head where they were leaking. I got new ones. The bike sounds better, but I ain't riding till I fix my brake. Good luck!
                            1979XS100SF
                            2007 Dyna wide glide
                            Too many dodge trucks to list!

Comment

Well, bunged in a load of Redex (not sure if you have that over there) and went for a long ride to try and clear everything................10 miles later I'm limping home on 2 1/2 cylinders and desperately trying to keep the revs above 4k to stop stalling!!!!

Looks like it's carbs off and an ultrasonic clean!

Comment

Working...
                              X