Intake Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake Boots

Was having a stalling at intersection issues with the LH. Runs good off idle and 2 plugs look good. Nice white porcellin with just a ting of light brown at the tips, the other two though, the porcelin was grey throughout the visible length. Gas cap vent is clear. Had me puzzled so I descided to check the sync. After warming her up I tried to pull the rubber caps off to hook up the morgan and the friggin brass nipples pulled right out of the boots on the two that the plugs were grey on. I pushed them back in and hooked up the morgan and the sync was dead on.
    Let it run for about five minutes and watched the idle. Sat right at 1K, over that time then slowly the rpm started to drop as the motor got hotter. To it's credit it was still trying hard to idle at 500 rpm but stalled at 400. I checked the brass nipples again and I could pull them right out again with my fingers.
    I'm thinking that as the rubber heats up it allows a vacumn leak around the brass and throws off the sync and makes those to cylinders start to run lean dropping the idle.
    Am I correct? I bought these things last winter from Parts n more. An other case of quality control going off the rails.
    mack
    79 XS 1100 SF Special
    HERMES
    original owner
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
    SPICA
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
    IOTA
    https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
    https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
    Frankford, Ont, Canada
    613-398-6186

Super glue
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Superglue or permatex makes a green locktight that is for slip fit cylindrical joints.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I keep lots of JB weld on hand : )
        1970? Honda Z50... gone
        1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
        1974 Honda CB200... gone
        1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
        1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
        2008 Honda VTX 1800F
        1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
        1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

If you used those cheap paper gaskets that come with the new boots that is probably where they are leaking. Just use a little silicone or Threebond to seal them. Throw the gaskets away.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Hey Mack,

I can't speak for the PNM intake boots quality, but sounds like you're on to something. Folks have reported vacuum leaks from hardened rubber synch port caps as well, they seem like they fit, but are actually loose around the brass nipple and allow air to leak around/past them.

Greg....with above description of vac. leaks with just the rubber synch port caps, I can fully believe a similar problem can occur from the brass synch port nipples getting loose within the rubber boots. Some silicone RTV or threebond should seal around them just fine. I do agree that the mating surface of the boots can also be a source for vac. leaks...especially with a dry paper gasket, and agree that sealant should be used when mounting the boots, with or without the gaskets. Mine had gotten all crumbly when I had taken them off for my rebuild, I removed the dried crumbling rubber from the face of the boot and applied sealant when I reinstalled them and they have been working well for 10+ yrs.

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

You already know their leaking but if you wanted to, you could spray them with some carb cleaner or starting fluid when its running and see if the rpm changes and how much from cold to warm.... I check my intake boots and butterfly seals one a year with starting fluid. No since in trying to tune with those leaking...
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Boots

Just pissed me off. Another case of crappie workmanship slipping by. It's becoming the norm not the exception. Unless you knew to look for it, or stumbled across it by accident like I did, something like this could plague a new owner for months. I'll give them the quick fix for the remainder of this year but over the winter I'll be ordering an oem replacement set.I just can't tolerate having a known issue and not fixing it properly.Especially when I restored this bike for my brother to ride.
                mack
                79 XS 1100 SF Special
                HERMES
                original owner
                http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                SPICA
                http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                IOTA
                https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                Frankford, Ont, Canada
                613-398-6186

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                  You already know their leaking but if you wanted to, you could spray them with some carb cleaner or starting fluid when its running and see if the rpm changes and how much from cold to warm.... I check my intake boots and butterfly seals one a year with starting fluid. No since in trying to tune with those leaking...
                  The only problem with using carb cleaner or starting fluid is it's highly flamable and you could have a fire on your hands pretty easily. Brakleen isn't quite so flammable and will do the same thing.

Just sayin'
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
                    Was having a stalling at intersection issues with the LH. Runs good off idle and 2 plugs look good. Nice white porcellin with just a ting of light brown at the tips, the other two though, the porcelin was grey throughout the visible length. Gas cap vent is clear. Had me puzzled so I descided to check the sync. After warming her up I tried to pull the rubber caps off to hook up the morgan and the friggin brass nipples pulled right out of the boots on the two that the plugs were grey on. I pushed them back in and hooked up the morgan and the sync was dead on.
                    Let it run for about five minutes and watched the idle. Sat right at 1K, over that time then slowly the rpm started to drop as the motor got hotter. To it's credit it was still trying hard to idle at 500 rpm but stalled at 400. I checked the brass nipples again and I could pull them right out again with my fingers.
                    I'm thinking that as the rubber heats up it allows a vacumn leak around the brass and throws off the sync and makes those to cylinders start to run lean dropping the idle.
                    Am I correct? I bought these things last winter from Parts n more. An other case of quality control going off the rails.
                    I had exactly the same issue with a set I got from Georgefix. Only one of the four boots did it. Most certainly I do not blame the resellers like Georgefix nor PNM. Somewhere during the manufacture of these boots they did not bond correctly.
                    Myself, I pulled the brass nipple out and coated it with "The Right Stuff" inserted it and problem was solved. I would imagine that any sealant that can withstand some heat and work for both metal and rubber/nitrile type compounds would work well.
                    2-79 XS1100 SF
                    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
                    X