• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

usually if the bike runs worse as it warms up
    its usually because of a rich mixture, a foul plug
    will also cause popping/backfire, as suggested check ur plugs,
    also check ur fuel heights are set to stock,
    mite not hurt to check ur valve clearances also.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Jeeezzziiisssss Keeerrrriiissstttt! Got the carbs cleaned, and no pops now, but holy crap, you really cant tell!!!! My buddy tore down the carbs, hes done this tons of times. He had to fabricate gaskets for the float bowls, we dont have em here, but as I said, hes done thins bunches of times. Well, got it put back together, started it up, and its missing on a cylinder, and is running so damn rich that it almost makes you pass out!!!! He has gone through the fuel screws multiple times, and nothing there. He thought maybe one of the fabricated gaskets was too big, and was holding the float open, or that something had gotten dropped into the float bowls. He pulled em back off, checked everything, no problems that can be seen anywhere, and the damn thing is still doing it!!!! We are forking lost!!!! Its not a plug, all those checked, not plug wires, we are just lost!! Its got one year old 3ohm coils, and new wires from the US, so they are good. It ran just fine until the carbs got cleaned, except for the popping, and now we dont know what to do!!! Gawd, we need some help!!!!!!!!

Randy
      Smiling in the Philippines
      1980 XS Eleven Special
      Running nicely thanks to this forum!

Comment

Originally posted by hanger10 View Post
        My buddy tore down the carbs, hes done this tons of times. He had to fabricate gaskets for the float bowls, we dont have em here, but as I said, hes done thins bunches of times. Well, got it put back together, started it up, and its missing on a cylinder, and is running so damn rich / maybe one of the fabricated gaskets was too big, and was holding the float open
        Make sure there are holes in the gaskets not blocking any ports (red arrows) and the floats will hit the sides if too big (green arrows)...JAT

Edit: disregard the lower red arrow, IIRC that hole is not used. Thanks UK fellas for use of the picture.

2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I just went through this with mine. I had popping and something not right. I had just replaced all of the main and pilot jets, except one. The #2 pilot jet was stuck. I replaced that and now it runs on three cylinders. I gave the carburetors to someone who has been working on them since I was a toddler. He brought me samples of the dirt in my pilot circuits and elsewhere. I thought they were clean. I guess not. It runs nearly perfect now. I have no popping on decel and it rips when I twist the throttle. It was dirt that was making mine behave as yours is. I believe you missed something when you cleaned them. Remove the pilot jets. You may see one or more is clogged.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

it was the carb boots

Originally posted by hanger10 View Post
            Jeeezzziiisssss Keeerrrriiissstttt! Got the carbs cleaned, and no pops now, but holy crap, you really cant tell!!!! My buddy tore down the carbs, hes done this tons of times. He had to fabricate gaskets for the float bowls, we dont have em here, but as I said, hes done thins bunches of times. Well, got it put back together, started it up, and its missing on a cylinder, and is running so damn rich that it almost makes you pass out!!!! He has gone through the fuel screws multiple times, and nothing there. He thought maybe one of the fabricated gaskets was too big, and was holding the float open, or that something had gotten dropped into the float bowls. He pulled em back off, checked everything, no problems that can be seen anywhere, and the damn thing is still doing it!!!! We are forking lost!!!! Its not a plug, all those checked, not plug wires, we are just lost!! Its got one year old 3ohm coils, and new wires from the US, so they are good. It ran just fine until the carbs got cleaned, except for the popping, and now we dont know what to do!!! Gawd, we need some help!!!!!!!!

Randy
            Hi Randy,
            I just fixed the problem on my bike today ... I put teflon tapes on all small tube rods on the carb boots used for synchronizing the carbs...see attached pic ...I then drove the bike around and ...no more backfire !

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
              I recently had a similar issue with one of my XS11's. It had always run strong and had no issues. One fine day I went out to ride and had the popping you describe. Damn near drove me crazy trying to figure out why it was doing that as it had always run great. Turns out it was as simple as a Blind plug on the carb boots had developed a leak and simply replacing it solved the problem. I vote for the intake side leak as the problem.
              Kinda like I was saying.
              2-79 XS1100 SF
              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

we had the same issue!

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                I recently had a similar issue with one of my XS11's. It had always run strong and had no issues. One fine day I went out to ride and had the popping you describe. Damn near drove me crazy trying to figure out why it was doing that as it had always run great. Turns out it was as simple as a Blind plug on the carb boots had developed a leak and simply replacing it solved the problem. I vote for the intake side leak as the problem.
                You got it right Rasputin!

Comment

Working...
                X