Question on cone air filter conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on cone air filter conversion

I bought emgo cone style air filters for my 1980 xs1100 G. I just couldnt reason spendint over 120 dollars for k&n. They look great and function well but i have a problem. there is a hose that connected to the original air box that seems to go to the clutch housing.(dont know the technical names) Is this just a breather for some part like the clutch or transmission case or do i have to take special attention to what i do when geting a filter for it.
    also, if anyone has had this problem before where did you get the filter?

thanks.

It's just a crankcase breather - you can throw a filter on it.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Air filter

Uni sells a foam filter for the XS11. The part number is NU 2244, and it sells for about $20, and the filter oil is about $5. They can be found at most independent bike shops.

Comment

Filter/Breather

eltroloco, a more economical filter for that crankcase breather hose is to simply get a cheap aftermarket inline fuel filter. It will breath air freely in and out and prevent any dust/airborn dirt from being drawn in.
        Ken/Sooke
        787E Ratbyk
        82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

there are 2 hoses from the trans ; a small and a big diameter. I connected the small one to one of my cones, but don't know what to do with the big one as some gases go out of it ??

Comment

Breather hose

If I remember right it has a 3/8" inside diameter. Buy an aftermarket 3/8" in line automobile fuel filter. Just stick the filter on the end and position the hose as high up as the length of hose will let you. Forget about it after that. The gases coming out are blow by gases from compression/combustion. On a modern car etc. they are directed to the PCV.
            The fuel filter will breath air/gases quite freely. It will also prevent dust/airborne dirt from being drawn into the engine as it cools down. Simple as that.
            Ken/Sooke
            78E Ratbyk
            82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

Great solutions, and inexpensive. thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
              X