rotor resurfacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rotor resurfacing?

Has anyone found a way to resurface rotors? I have a slotted pair that vary in thickness by .0025 in.
    Carbide cutters don't like interupted cuts, so standard brake lathes will be problematic.
    A tool post grinder on a lathe is a possibilty, but maybe someone has a better solution. CZ

They have to be ground, not cut. These guys.. http://www.truedisk.net/
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

If its 2 and half thou from outer edge to inner of the pad area all the way round leave it, if its from one side of the disc to the other so you get pulsing at the brake lever then I can understand why you want to skim them but otherwise 2 1/2 thou is nothing.

I've skimmed solid discs at home in my lathe but as you say tungsten carbide doesn't like getting hammered from the slots, what about a Universal Grinder, I've done discs on one but they do tend to "sing" if you try taking too big a cut so the job can take a while.

Just use them as they are.
      Tom
      1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
      1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
      1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
      1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Depending how much you have budgeted, this guy offers refurbishment service through ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XS750...-/230820112322
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I did one on a flywheel resurfacer. came out fine.
          79SF
          XJ11
          78E

Comment

I did the rear rotor on my bike with a standard brake rotor lathe and it turned out just fine. It is a bit different than a car rotor though. The rotor on my bike is alot softer that on a car. You have to take just a little tiny bit at a time. Instead of the metal flaking off like a car rotor it comes off like wire. I did my own and it was ok but thats not saying that everyone will have the same luck as i did. To each there own. Just my $.02.
            80 XS1100G Black Betty (Daily Driver)
            79 XS1100SF (Buddys Project)
            82 XJ750 Maxim (Fathers Bike)
            81 CB750F SS (Buddys Project)
            06 GSX600F Sold! (Was Mine)
            81 XS1100 Failed Bobber Project (Mine)
            81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Grip it, Rip it, and Stick it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GTXS1100 View Post
              I did the rear rotor on my bike with a standard brake rotor lathe and it turned out just fine. It is a bit different than a car rotor though. The rotor on my bike is alot softer that on a car. You have to take just a little tiny bit at a time. Instead of the metal flaking off like a car rotor it comes off like wire. I did my own and it was ok but thats not saying that everyone will have the same luck as i did. To each there own. Just my $.02.
              Machining stainless is a bit of a chore, and the rear rotor, not having slots, could be done with care. My problem is that the fronts have slots, and carbide cutters don't like interupted cuts, and HSS bits don't like stainless.
              And the rear is fine, just one front has waves.
              I'll look at the tool and cutter grinder tomorrow, and see if it would be easier than a tool post grinder on the lathe. CZ

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                Machining stainless is a bit of a chore, and the rear rotor, not having slots, could be done with care. My problem is that the fronts have slots, and carbide cutters don't like interupted cuts, and HSS bits don't like stainless.
                And the rear is fine, just one front has waves.
                I'll look at the tool and cutter grinder tomorrow, and see if it would be easier than a tool post grinder on the lathe. CZ
                Greg probably has a good one laying around. Most likely the easiest and cheapest route is to just buy a new one.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Rotor Resurface

I found a guy in Marietta, GA (local for me). He resurfaces and/or drills patterns in your rotors. He did the rear for me. Does very good work (even repaints the centers) and is reasonable. Can get you his info if you like.

MP
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer
                  K&N Air Filter
                  ACCT
                  Custom Paint by Deitz
                  Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                  Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                  Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                  Stebel Nautilus Horn
                  EBC Front Rotors
                  Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                    I found a guy in Marietta, GA (local for me). He resurfaces and/or drills patterns in your rotors. He did the rear for me. Does very good work (even repaints the centers) and is reasonable. Can get you his info if you like.

MP
                    Geez, I wish we were closer. I don't like paying two way shipping on heavy steel parts. I would be interested in what procedure he uses, as I have access to a number of machine tools, which might be re purposed for the occasion.
                    Thanks for the thought, CZ

Comment

Working...
                    X