Idle Mixture Screwed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Mixture Screwed

So I recently replaced my float needles, cleaned the carbs, set float heights, and resynced. I was in the process of setting the idle mixture last night and encountered some problems.

I chose to use the propane leak method to adjust the mixture. On the two of the carbs this worked great and I was able to set the mixture where the idle jumps slightly with a small amount of propane, however, on two of the carbs there is no change when propain is introduced, and no change when the screws are adjusted in anyway.

The two problem carbs are not paired and I have black smoke out of both exhaust pipes. The bike idles pretty good, and it will idle smoothley as low as 900-1000 rpm. But if I throttle up smoothly it will hicup around 4,500 rpm and above. And smoke a lot.

I removed all of the mixture screws and discovered the two problem carb's needles have wear grooves worn into them, while the ones I could adjust are just fine. Just for the hell of it I started the bike with the needles removed and it actually ran very well, without the 4,500rpm miss.

Now the question:
    Should I just the replace the mixture needles? Is this my main problem? When removing the screws does this create a lean condition? Can anyone give me more info on the screw, is in = rich and out = leaner?? Not sure how it works exactly. If I just need to replace the screws, does anyone know if it's true that 76-77 XS650 needles will fit?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Should have never started tearing apart the carbs until after the summer.
    1979 XS1100 SF
    1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
    1981 KZ650CSR
    2006 VTX 1300C
    1986 Radian 600

Not sure what you mean by using propane to adjust the mixture screws. Only thing to use.propane for is to look for vac leaks. If you have a rise in.rpm then there is a vacuum leak than needs to be fixed.

I would replace the needles if there are groovs.

Get her put together and bring it to the lost rally in central WI this weekend. We will help ya out!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Propane

There was a How To on setting the idle mixture that I found on here. It said to leak a calibrated amount of propane into each carb boot. If idles up too lean, if down to rich. Anyone use this method?
      1979 XS1100 SF
      1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
      1981 KZ650CSR
      2006 VTX 1300C
      1986 Radian 600

Comment

I would be interested to see that! But how do you calibrated the propane?.......
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Propane

Use the same flame size on each carb. With the flame extinguished of course.
          1979 XS1100 SF
          1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
          1981 KZ650CSR
          2006 VTX 1300C
          1986 Radian 600

Comment

Here Nate. One of the tech tips.
            Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
            Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
            Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
            Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
            Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
            K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
            81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

that's pretty cool and DIY friendly
              Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

She don't lie...Propane

It actually is pretty easy, well when the mixture screws are actually doing something. So I set the carbs per the tech tip, and it still seems to be running rich. I know I need to replace the mixture screws/needles, but is there something else I'll need to do? Or should I be able to get it tuned with the new mixture screws?
                1979 XS1100 SF
                1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
                1981 KZ650CSR
                2006 VTX 1300C
                1986 Radian 600

Comment

Are you using an external tach when doing that? The OEM tach would be worthless for that!

I would think that is you can remove the screws and you get no real measurable change then you may have screws tips broken off in the holes.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Mixture screw

As I said before, I completely removed the screws and they are complete, however there are grooves worn in two of them.
                    1979 XS1100 SF
                    1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
                    1981 KZ650CSR
                    2006 VTX 1300C
                    1986 Radian 600

Comment

Originally posted by conquest87tsi View Post
                      As I said before, I completely removed the screws and they are complete, however there are grooves worn in two of them.
                      Are the grooves spiral? I would think as they get screwed in and twist as they go in, then whatever has caused the 'groove' would cause it to 'spiral' as it goes in.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...... Pic Please...

I just noticed your login name... My Brother had an 87 Dodge Conquest.! (actually his was the Mitubishi Starion, but same thing) Wow did that car fly. I wish I could have gotten that car from him. Instead I ended up with a Honda Prelude
                      Last edited by GLoweVA; 07-31-2012, 01:48 PM.
                      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                      The Green Monster
                      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                      Got him in '04.
                      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                      Scarlet
                      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                      Got her in '11
                      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                      Hugo
                      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                      Cold weather ride

Comment

Connie

Yeh, I don't think I'll ever get rid of mine. We were both born on the same year even. Bought her six years ago when she had 80K on the clock, about 110k now I think. I love the car, got hit my a blonde in a grand am in the drivers quarter, sat pretty much since.
                        1979 XS1100 SF
                        1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
                        1981 KZ650CSR
                        2006 VTX 1300C
                        1986 Radian 600

Comment

Originally posted by conquest87tsi View Post
                          You could be bottoming out on a screw tip, they aren't that large. You gotta look and see. You would have a good vacuum leak if you remove that screw so there should be a change in how it ryns.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                            Not sure what you mean by using propane to adjust the mixture screws. Only thing to use.propane for is to look for vac leaks. If you have a rise in.rpm then there is a vacuum leak than needs to be fixed.

I would replace the needles if there are groovs.

Get her put together and bring it to the lost rally in central WI this weekend. We will help ya out!
                            That was the carb. adjusting procedure in the late 70's early 80's on carb related chryslers. Doing a 'lean drop' using propane when setting idle mix screws Nate.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Boy! Your floats must be set awfully high to be able to run with the pilot screws out. The carbs would be sucking in air to lean what would be an overly rich mixture. At least that is my best guess.
                              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                              X