Raptor 660 ACCT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptor 660 ACCT

Picked up an ACCT on Ebay from a Raptor 660 and installed it following the tech write up, pretty straight forward, and verified that the dots on the cams are where they belong when the timing marks are lined up per the tip. I do have a couple of questions though.

1. The top bolt was a little tight going back in,couldn't do it with just my fingers. Not having a small round file to ream out the hole, I just carefully tightened each bolt a half turn at a time until they were seated, also putting on a small lock washer to make sure the bolt didn't bottom out. Do you think this is OK or is there a chance that something may develop a crack because of the extra minor stress??

2. Looking at the oem tensioner, if you draw an imaginary line through the middle of both bolt holes, that line runs right down the middle of the plunger and the plunger pushes squarely against the center of the chain guide. That same imaginary line through the bolt holes of the Raptor tensioner does NOT run through the middle of the plunger, the plunger is offset towards #2 cylinder and only about half of the plunger makes contact with the chain guide. Will the Raptor plunger not pushing squarely against the chain guide cause problems? Anyone else notice this with any of the ACCTs you've installed? Does anyone have some serious trouble free miles on a Raptor unit? I sure don't want to end up wrecking stuff after installing an ACCT to avoid wrecking stuff

Thanks for the knowledge.
    Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Originally posted by BillyRok View Post
    Picked up an ACCT on Ebay from a Raptor 660 and installed it following the tech write up, pretty straight forward, and verified that the dots on the cams are where they belong when the timing marks are lined up per the tip. I do have a couple of questions though.

1. The top bolt was a little tight going back in,couldn't do it with just my fingers. Not having a small round file to ream out the hole, I just carefully tightened each bolt a half turn at a time until they were seated, also putting on a small lock washer to make sure the bolt didn't bottom out. Do you think this is OK or is there a chance that something may develop a crack because of the extra minor stress??
    I didn't have a reamer or a file but the thin grinding bit that came with my Dremel worked just fine.

2. Looking at the oem tensioner, if you draw an imaginary line through the middle of both bolt holes, that line runs right down the middle of the plunger and the plunger pushes squarely against the center of the chain guide. That same imaginary line through the bolt holes of the Raptor tensioner does NOT run through the middle of the plunger, the plunger is offset towards #2 cylinder and only about half of the plunger makes contact with the chain guide. Will the Raptor plunger not pushing squarely against the chain guide cause problems? Anyone else notice this with any of the ACCTs you've installed? Does anyone have some serious trouble free miles on a Raptor unit? I sure don't want to end up wrecking stuff after installing an ACCT to avoid wrecking stuff
    Strange. The stock CCT on my 78E was offset exactly like the Raptor ACCT I bought.
    Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
    Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
    Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
    Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
    Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
    K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
    81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

I just put a Raptor 660 ACCT on mine and had no problems and the alignment looked fine to me screws went in fine.

I have questions did you turn it to the C position before removing the old adjuster?

Did you have the bike level when you installed it?

Did you do any rotation or movement while the tensioner was out or loose?

Did it line up correctly with old tensioner?

If all this was done properly then you have a much different situation than I did and I do not know why its so different.
      To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
      1980 G Silverbird
      Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
      1198 Overbore kit
      Grizzly 660 ACCT
      Barnett Clutch Springs
      R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
      122.5 Main Jets
      ACCT Mod
      Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
      Antivibe Bar ends
      Rear trunk add-on
      http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Does the XJ run the same tensioner as the XS? I ask because every picture I can find shows the offset. Not a straight line like you say yours has.
        Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
        Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
        Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
        Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
        Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
        K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
        81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by Tat2demon View Post
          Does the XJ run the same tensioner as the XS?
          Yes. As to the offset, that doesn't hurt a thing....
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Here is a pic of the Raptor 700 ACCT I just got off eBay.. The offset is pretty large and it appears that when you flip it to make it fit, only about 1/3 of the plunger is sitting on the tensoner in the engine..

I'm not gonna risk it. Gonna order another style.

Here is the error I see with the raptor unit..

1) Fire up Internet Explorer
            2) http://www.yahoo.com
            3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
            4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Comment

I'd get another one. That doesn't look or sound right to me.
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

That was my exact concern Diskman, your photos illustrate the problem quite clearly. If the Raptor plunger doesn't push squarely on the chain guide I was afraid we'd be asking for trouble. Better safe than sorry, sure don't want to take a risk with the valve train!
                Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Put it in the hole and look down the cam chain tunnel. Might be surprised.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Nate, when I pulled the stock tensioner out and looked into the hole at the chain guide, the guide was off towards the left side of the hole. It seems pretty firmly in place and didn't move much when I tried to push it towards the middle of the hole. The plunger on the Raptor unit is offset towards the right side of the hole when installed and just doesn't make good square contact with the guide like the stock plunger does. I did some research on my local dealer's web site and the part #s are different for the Venture/Vmax, Raptor, and Vision parts so I'd think there is some sort of difference in design. I'm far from an expert but the whole thing just didn't seem quite right to me. My apologies to anyone feeling like we're beating a dead horse here but I hate the thought of spending $10 on something that would result in the very thing I was trying to avoid
                    Billy

Comment

when I pulled the stock tensioner out and looked into the hole at the chain guide, the guide was off towards the left side of the hole. It seems pretty firmly in place and didn't move much when I tried to push it towards the middle of the hole.
                      What you see in the hole is not actually the chain guide but is a flat metal blade that spreads the tension along the front leg of the chain guide. If your automatic tensioner is a bit off center on this it should not be of that great a concern.
                      Mike Giroir
                      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I've been running with a raptor chain mod ever since I figured out you could use one. Best $5 I ever spent.
                        80 XS11 "Bellatrix"- MAC 4-1, ZRX1200 carbs, Dynatek Coils, Raptor CCT

Comment

Forgot I had this pic. Here is the Vision 550 acct when in the hole.

Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Nate, that plunger hits the tensioner bar even better than the Venture acct... which seem to have become like hen's teeth and more expensive.
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                              Nate, that plunger hits the tensioner bar even better than the Venture acct... which seem to have become like hen's teeth and more expensive.
                              Yeah, I remember talking abouy that with Ivan after I put It in.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X