Clear engine covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear engine covers

Well figured I'd start my own thread, James gave me this idea, as he has something similar on his XJR. Let me know what u guys think.

First is the advance cover, second is the middle drive cover.

I was also thinking of the clutch cover, but what problems might be had if the center of the cover was cut out? Would it affect the clutch adjuster at all? Thanks!
    BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
    80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Cool, I'd like to see some sort of trim ring that would 'sandwich' the clear piece on the timing cover in order to hide the white sealing material from view, maybe use an o-ring for sealing it instead?

I do see a potential problem on the clutch cover - the clutch mechanism pushes out on the cover in order to push in against the clutch to release it, you won't be able to remove all the material and keep the clutch functional as it was designed. Maybe you could do a 'spoke' type design and leave 3 or 4 pieces of the cover in place to support the clutch mechanism and replace the rest with the clear?
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

That's exactly what I was wondering about the clutch cover. But a spoked pocketed design might work, I'll see what I can engineer up with my limited tools...

Comment

I think someone is LONG overdue to wash their bike!!!

The clear cover on that XJR looked cool for sure, but looking into the middle drive is not so interesting to me. On the XS, I could see maybe making the clutch adjustment cover out of the clear, but the actual clutch cover is a very complicated shape as well.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

I was thinking of doing something similar but to the valve cover, to put a window(s) to be able to see the timing marks without removing the valve cover.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Ha yeah she is a dirty girl! I just got her out of 4 years of storage and haven't had the chance to give her a bath yet. That's why I got such a close up pic, didn't want u all to see how dirty she really is! I figure the md internal workings wouldn't be that exciting, but I did it first more as a test cuz I could do it without hacking up one of my existing covers, like with the timing cover, which I'm not quite satisfied with, so I intend to redo it a bit different, and incorporate a billet beauty ring, and several polished stainless rivets instead of just a few stainless screws. But I definitely will update with more pics, including the right side covers as I get to them. I have an idea for the clutch cover too though, hopefully I can add a few windows without sacrificing the structural integrity much, if I do, used covers on fleabay are not that expensive... Hopefully I can get to sealing the tank and overhauling the carbs in the next week or two also, just modding the covers cuz its something I can do on my lunch breaks at work, and it's helping me get motivated to do something to the bike at least. Wish me luck!

Comment

Oh also, psychoreefer mentioned sealer on the timing cover, there is none, the discolored area around the edge of the polycarbonate is where I machined the aluminum flat.

Comment

I think you definitely need an external trim to hide the edge of the perspex and the machined bit of the case. As it is, it's a good start but IMO it looks a bit DIY and amateur because of that joint. I would cut out less of an area and leave some overhang onto which a trim could be bolted. In the ignition cover pic, I think you've taken too much off and you need a contrast between some of the casing and the window itself, if you see what I mean?

On my casings, the machined bit is covered by a trim. This holds the perspex in place and also hides the sealed area (I'd say clear silicone sealer is a must).

I wonder re the clutch casing. You'd need a clear cover in order to show the lever underneath and, as has been mentioned, some way of cutting out sections of the clutch casing. I wonder if spokes would break?

The generator cover would be rather challenging too....!
                Last edited by James England; 07-27-2012, 06:33 PM.
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Ya the problem is with the convex shape, I had to machine off that much for a flat surface to mount the pc to, but I have another idea I'm going to try a different route to give it a more finished look like yours. Thanks for the input gentlemen!

Comment

Do not take this personally but that is one thing that will never grace any XS11 I will ever own!
                    2-79 XS1100 SF
                    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Not your style, and that's fine. Can be undone with $30 in parts off eBay if I decide I don't like it too. But I think with just a little tweaking and refinements I'll really dig it, and maybe several other people would too. No offense taken.

Comment

Well I was going to look into doing a 3 spoke design on my stator cover, but after pulling it off, noticed it is pretty much destroyed from the POs wreck. Didn't look so bad on the bike, but upon removal a cracked piece actually fell out. So no chucking this one in the lathe... Don't want to be wearing bits of stator cover as facial decoration. So if anybody has one in pretty good shape they'd be willing to donate to the cause, I would be happy to cover postage...

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                          Do not take this personally but that is one thing that will never grace any XS11 I will ever own!
                          There are some XS11's out there that would suit this type of cover, I'm sure.

I know some XJR riders who would never put window covers on. One person said he hates wavy brake discs. I think if a bike has already been tweaked and is non-standard, then these covers could look good on it.....
                          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Take 2 of the timing cover... Not quite finished yet, I'm thinking of attaching the pieces together with 6-8 equally spaced stainless rivets... Now the pc is just 1/16" thick with a 1/16 stainless steel trim ring. Currently just set together on the table. So far I am liking this look better than the last way I had it. Have the pc and trim ring cut for the stator cover already, but haven't yet cut the windows in the original cover. I have the plan for the cutout drawn out though, I'm excited to do it next time I have some spare time at work!

Might make the trim ring thinner still, it's about 3/4 wide from the outside to the cutout center. Whereas the ring for the stator is about 7/16"

Comment

Finished timing cover. Gonna install it tonight after work.

Decided to go with the 7/16 wide trim ring, so I'll have to open up the other one to match on the stator side.

Comment

Working...
                              X