Carburetor Jetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
    This was on a separate spare carb bank, not the jacked up ones.
    Bet a jet myster secretly changed them after dark.......
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Adding Filters

While I was adding filters and cleaning the pilot jets/circuit, I found a way, different than what I have seen shown in the forums, to route the fuel lines for the filters.

Most of what I saw showed the filters pointing up right between the carbs. When the lines are added they want to kink as you install the tank. I looked at other possible options.

The one that ended up working the best - I pointed the fuel tees between the carbs straight down. Then added an extended length of fuel line and routed it back up to the filters. The longer line allowed a softer bend to eliminate any kinking. Worked quite well. Made the line hook up at the tank very easy.

You end up with 2 loops of fuel line just above the starter, but you have to stand on your head to see them. So they are not obtrusive. I have ridden since and there are no lack of fuel or running issues.

MP
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Carb Jetting

According to published Yamaha (1979 XS1100SF) service information, my carbs are supposed to have the 42.5 pilot jets and the 180 pilot air jets. Next time that the carbs need to come off, I believe I will change to these larger pilot jets and see what happens. I am soon to add the Dyna coils and a little richer pilot circuit should complement the upgraded secondary voltage. We will see.

MP
        1981 XS1100H Venturer
        K&N Air Filter
        ACCT
        Custom Paint by Deitz
        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
        Stebel Nautilus Horn
        EBC Front Rotors
        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
          While I was adding filters and cleaning the pilot jets/circuit, I found a way, different than what I have seen shown in the forums, to route the fuel lines for the filters.

Most of what I saw showed the filters pointing up right between the carbs. When the lines are added they want to kink as you install the tank. I looked at other possible options.

The one that ended up working the best - I pointed the fuel tees between the carbs straight down. Then added an extended length of fuel line and routed it back up to the filters. The longer line allowed a softer bend to eliminate any kinking. Worked quite well. Made the line hook up at the tank very easy.

You end up with 2 loops of fuel line just above the starter, but you have to stand on your head to see them. So they are not obtrusive. I have ridden since and there are no lack of fuel or running issues.

MP
          I went from the left petcock to the right carbs, and the right petcock to the left carbs. Another way to accomplish the same thing.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

IIRC 78's had 210 air jets with 45 pilots and 79's had 180 air jets with 42.5 pilots. I think you could mix them, idle mixture screw will need adjusting a little one way or the other.
            79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
            79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Originally posted by red bandit View Post
              IIRC 78's had 210 air jets with 45 pilots and 79's had 180 air jets with 42.5 pilots. I think you could mix them, idle mixture screw will need adjusting a little one way or the other.
              All Main Air Jets on all the XS's were 140 but, the Pilot Air Jets were 180 for 78-79 and 185 for 80-81.

Nice chart here... (you didnt actually believe I knew that did you?)

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                All Main Air Jets on all the XS's were 140 but, the Pilot Air Jets were 180 for 78-79 and 185 for 80-81.

Nice chart here... (you didnt actually believe I knew that did you?)

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73
                Well since the '78's had 210 air jets, again I say that chart Is not completely correct!
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

That's the third or fouth DIFFERENT jetting chart I've seen that gives the same information. Is everyone wrong?
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    That's the third or fouth DIFFERENT jetting chart I've seen that gives the same information. Is everyone wrong?
                    Well, this is the only one I've ever seen so it must be right.
                    '79 XS11 F
                    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

YES! Everyone with 45 pilots seems to have the 210 airjets.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                        YES! Everyone with 45 pilots seems to have the 210 airjets.
                        I wonder if that's something that was done early in the 78 model run and then changed later on because of an issue there was with that combination.

How early is your VIN Nate, and are you certain those carbs are OEM?
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I wonder if that's something that was done early in the 78 model run and then changed later on because of an issue there was with that combination.

How early is your VIN Nate, and are you certain those carbs are OEM?
                          Don't have my VIN memorized but I think it Is later in the model year.

I know may carbs had been "fixed" by PO's but why is it that so many others find the 210's too?
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I'm just wondering why that doesn't show up on ANY of the charts. Surely thay ALL can't be wrong. That configuration would have shown up somewhere I would think.

Possibly it was something the dealers were doing to solve a specific problem when some bikes came back for warranty work. Maybe an attempt to get rid of that annoying spark knock at 4.5 - 5K some of these things have. My 80 engine did it bad but this 79 I haven't heard it once. Even with the fairing on.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                            X