Got her running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got her running

So, today I woke up my sleeping beauty from a 25 years slumber....Idles perfectly with full choke, but if I try to roll on the throttle or switch to half choke it dies....

Also, once I start it with WOT it stays running, with RPM 4-5k, but if I kill the choke it dies

So, my question is, what part of carbs should I narrow my search to?

It's tuned standard, original jets ( I believe 42.5 , 137.5 ), air box with K&N, standard, original pipes...
    Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Originally posted by mikubuilder View Post
    So, my question is, what part of carbs should I narrow my search to?
    The pilot circuit, low speed jets and passages.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The Pilot circuit is most likely the problem area. However, if you haven't cleaned the carbs, then you'll want to tear them down completely to properly clean them. There's a tech tip with nice photos to show what to do and what NOT to do so you don't break things while disassembling the carbs!

Also, forgot to look at what year/model you have, but if they are the 78-79 carbs, the pilot SCREWS may also have broken tips lodged in the carbs which would cut off the idle/pilot low speed circuit!

Remember, don't soak the carb bodies in caustic carb cleaner, will damage the butterfly shaft seals and such!!

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

That's only your first carb cleaning.............2 more to go.

Make certain that every passage, every piece inside those carbs is clean and flowing properly.

Take EVERYTHING apart and clean it.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

LOL, carbs been cleaned completely, ultrasonic cleaning in Simple Green...but had been sitting with gas in them for about a month....had to take care of electrical issues (thanks TC for a fuse box), and brake rebuild...

so, looks like they are coming off again...

here are a few pics of my revival

my pipes: before and after...

and my gas tank:

here is my front MC mod: I couldn't find reservoir for it, and Andreas sent me a special one by mistake, so I modified it to fit...

custom gasket

Nick

Comment

FYI, there is no gasket on the bottom of the MC reservoir. Just a o-ring.

I would love more pics of the inside of the pipes if you have any.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

yeah, I know about the o-ring, but the special reservoir is a little bit smaller and o-ring in a standard body does not do any good....hence the gasket

the reservoir is held down by two middle screws for filling only, screws from the top hold it down for a ride
              Nick

Comment

Working...
              X