How Much Compression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Compression?

I checked my compression and had 100 PSI in all four cylinders. Yamaha service manual says: Standard is 142, Minimum is 128, and Maximum is 156.
    seems to run fine at 100, but am I missing something?

I have had the cylinder head off to do a valve job. Cylinders looked good - still had the hash marks on them.

Cylinder leakage test is 10%-12% which is normal.

Is anything wrong here?

MP
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

If its running fine maybe gauge is off?

If it was me, I would not worry unless I got wildly dissimilar numbers.

The Sun is slowly dying, but it burns OK for now so lets worry about burnout later

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I guess I will be the first to ask...was the engine warm or cold when you did the test? Did you have the throttle wide open or closed when you did the test? Were the sparkplugs on the other cylinders in or out when you did the test? Is the battery fully charged or was it when you did the test? Finally how long since this engine has seen a good number of road miles?
      Just stuff that we like to know so we can answer in a more informed way.
      Last edited by Rasputin; 07-24-2012, 08:38 PM. Reason: I spell badly
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I know that mine is also in that 100 PSI range, on a warmed up engine, plugs out, WOT, well charged battery, and has about 5k miles in the last couple years.

I also know that it runs pretty well, and definitely has more power than I need. So, I do not plan to pull the head or give it new rings any time soon. JMHO
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
          If it was me, I would not worry unless I got wildly dissimilar numbers.

Agreed, the absolute numbers are less important than consistant numbers. The numbers you get can be different from the manual for a variety of reasons.

What kind of trouble are you having that led you do do a compressoin test?
          '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerMike View Post
            Agreed, the absolute numbers are less important than consistant numbers. The numbers you get can be different from the manual for a variety of reasons.

What kind of trouble are you having that led you do do a compressoin test?
            According to the manual, compression testing should be done on a regular basis to provide a baseline and possible trend in degrading performance which in return will drive rebuilding before catastrophic failure...
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Compression Conditions

Engine was warm, throttle closed, all other plugs were out, and battery was fully charged. Bike has same compression whether it has been ridden or not.

The bike runs fine except that it is cold natured. What compression numbers have some of you gotten from your engines?

MP
              1981 XS1100H Venturer
              K&N Air Filter
              ACCT
              Custom Paint by Deitz
              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              EBC Front Rotors
              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

The throttle being closed is your problem. You need the throttle wo be fully open when running compression check. I am willing to bet your numbers will go up to the 140 or so mark if you do that.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                  ...throttle closed....
                  You'll get low numbers with the throttle closed, quite a bit low. You really have to hold the throttle open (or remove the carbs) to get accurate readings. As to the 'factory' numbers, take those with a large grain of salt. I've seen numbers all over the map, but from my experience a 'good' motor should be in the 150 psi + range, and don't be surprised if you see as much as 200 psi; typical readings seem to be in the 180 psi area. There's a lot of factors that can effect compression readings, but I've found that properly adjusted valves can make a huge difference. My most recent project checked at 130/90/60/130 when I first got it, after a valve adjustment the numbers came up to 180/180/160/180.

But if you're getting even readings (within 10% of each other or close) and the bike runs good without smoking, don't worry about it...
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

My engine started out with 80-90psi. Now its around 140-150psi.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

compression check: engine warm, plugs out, tci unplugged, ive put around 5k miles on it this year, the only thing i forgot to do was open the throttle, 149/150/155/155.....
                      79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

04 Buell XB12R "Butterfly"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
                      Moto Militia MC

Comment

Working...
                      X