iridium plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iridium plugs?

i've had great success using iridium spark plugs in my other bikes and wonder if they will improve my '80 special at all? thanks

A quick search using "iridium plugs" revealed several threads, especially this one

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=iridium+plugs

that starts out talking about another brand, then on reply #13 and few on the following page has good info on them! YMMV!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I myself have not used them just yet. However, a fellow local XSive that I know and greatly respect swears by them.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

I haven't pulled them out of my 79 even once since I put them in about 5 yrs ago.Sold solid. XJ has had them almost 3 yrs as well.
        79SF
        XJ11
        78E

Comment

They are excellent. I had them on my GL1000, XS1100 and immediately put them in my XJR. IMO, they are worth every penny and they definitely do improve performance and starting.
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I have many strong opinions about 'gimmicks' and spark plugs are a huge one. I tried the NGK Iridium plug in the same heat range as my stock NGK plug and HOLY CRAP! I swear, the bike idles smoother and cruises smoother than it did before. I really thought it would be another "Bosch" type conspiracy but really am impressed with the results. All i was hoping for was longevity, I had no illusions to performance gains.

The stock plugs I replaced had under 1k miles on them, so it's not as if they were worn out. My XS had no issues whatsoever, either. I ran it on the new stock plugs after a coil swap and a carb tune. I was truly amazed at the iridium plugs performance when I changed them.

I can't yet testify as to longevity, but the RPM bounce is much less so far as I can tell. The bike is certainly happier.
            1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Working...
            X