Rev's then takes 5 seconds to recover to idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rev's then takes 5 seconds to recover to idle

Hello agian. Here is my story. I am trying to fix a 1980 XS1100 up to ride. I put a used set of carbs on it recently and it is actually running on all four cylinders. Unfortunately, when I give it throttle it takes 5-10 seconds for the RPM's to return to idle speed. That's issue # 1. Anyone with any advice on that I would really appreciate it. ISSUE #2 After putting the new carbs on (From a 1979 XS1100) I am having problemswith the fuel intake nipple leaking on the left side of the bike. It may be the hose so I am going to try a clamp but I think it's coming from where the nipple swivels into the carbs. Do you guys have any advice of a quick fix to get this going? I was thinking a sealant like blue gue or silicon (depending on whether either stand up to gasoline. Any hints or advice is greatly welcome.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi, Jason.

Your hanging rev sounds like a lean condition. Possibly related to the leaking fuel nipple, or floats set too low. You might also suspect that the carbs were altered by the previous owner and aren't set up right (jets, needles, floats) for your application.

The leaking fuel nipple by the way is unlikely to respond to sealant. Trouble is, the nipples swivel at the carb joint and sealants break their seal when they're twisted. Last time I checked, Speed and Sport in Bloomsburg, PA had one nipple left in stock at a hefty $24. ( I know because I bought two)

Check the posts here by using the search feature on NIPPLE and also on LEAN and you'll get a ton of help. Good luck and keep us updated.

Randy.

Comment

Hanging revs can also be mis-synced carbs - try bench syncing and then gauge syncing, I believe there is a how-to in the maintenance section of the site.
      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Working...
      X