Oil cooler question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil cooler question

So I was getting ready to sell my oil cooler adapter from my spare engine so I took it off to take some pictures. I went to put the filter housing back on and tighten the bolt down but it doesn't go all the way down. It tightens with just enough room for the oil cooler adapter. So my question is... Are the bolts for the filter housing longer for some of the engines with oil coolers? Because I don't see another bolt that most people have with their oil cooler adapters.

Here is pic's of the kind of adapter I have

Here is some pics of the filter bowl bolt with measurements in inches

Here is pics of the housing on and off the engine

I know its hard to see but the picture with the filter housing on is with it tightened down.
    USMC 2005 - Present

79 XS1100F -Mileage unknown - Clubman bars, aftermarket headlight and speedometer, 4 into 1 straight through exhaust, TopCat's fuse box, 1980G rear fender - Daily driver - My first Motorcycle
    78 XS1100E - Rebuilt And Sold I SHOULD OF KEPT IT!!!

I have to admit, I have never really paid that much attention to the under side where the oil filter attaches. However, the oil cooler adaptors I have seen all come with an adaptor that screws in to account for the extra depth as opposed to a longer filter bolt.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

That bolt does look longer than the regular bolt.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I was wondering if someone could measure one they have if possible
        USMC 2005 - Present

79 XS1100F -Mileage unknown - Clubman bars, aftermarket headlight and speedometer, 4 into 1 straight through exhaust, TopCat's fuse box, 1980G rear fender - Daily driver - My first Motorcycle

Comment

Hey Maddix,

My OEM bolt is 2 3/8" from inside edge of head to end, 2 7/8" tip to tip, and the thread section is ~3/4" long. I misplaced my calipers!

So....that bolt is too long. The opening in the cooler adapter is too wide for it be designed to use a longer bolt. As others have stated, all of the coolers used a special adapter bolt/nut combo that secured the cooler plate to the engine, and THEN the OEM filter bolt screwed into the adapter.

Most likely someone lost the adapter piece, and just found a longer bolt that could be used to hold both in place, but without the proper fitting for the cooler plate, you probably are NOT getting any cooling action, the oil is just bypassing the plate and blowing directly into the filter and up into the engine without really being pushed thru the cooling portion!

The OEM case threaded hole does stick up/out from the surface of the engine case about 0.67" and so it "might" be filling some of the space between the center cooler plate, but I doubt that it's a tight enough fit? Would like to see a photo of the cooler plate on the engine alone to see how it fits around the engine case protruding threaded case settion!

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks for the measurements. That's what I suspected.

The bolt works fine with the oil cooler but the only reason I asked is because I was about to sell the adapter and not use a oil cooler but I was just confirming I would need a shorter (stock) bolt. I will see if I can get a stock bolt from the guy I'm selling the adapter to.
            USMC 2005 - Present

Comment

I have a spare, (kinda worn on the hex). I replaced it with a new one from jc whitney, so yes, thiers does fit.
              PM me if you want the old one.
              '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Working...
              X