79 xvjxs 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 xvjxs 1100

Ebay Claus stopped by yesterday and dropped off some much needed parts. Installed the XJ mufflers which replaced aftermarket mufflers and WOW! This is the best this bike has run since I've owned it. It came to me with a full Kerker which was painfully lean and even popped during idle. I installed aftermarket mufflers after another XJ muffler deal went south and it ran better but not like it should. I dinked with the idle mix and made some big improvements but nothing compared to installing XJ mufflers. Still watching for XS pipes but until then I'm quite happy.

My stock rear shocks were leaking oil and handling poorly. On rough pavement it was quite nerve racking as you never know where the rear end was headed. I even avoided the interstate as I wasn't comfortable running over 55 with the bike as it was due to the bad shocks. Swapped rear shocks, set the dampener to 2 and added 7lbs air and WOW! again. I flushed the forks 2 weeks ago and added 3 flat washers as spacers to each side and it handles like a new bike. I'm amazed at how much better the rear end is. I purposely rode it tonight in some areas that I avoided before and I no longer have to worry about rough pavement.

The bike needs a bath and some polishing and I still need to install the chrome 2 tone Venture horns.

The XS now has the following XJ parts:
    Front fender, head pipes, mufflers, foot pegs, rear shocks, and clutch perch
    The XS has a Virago 920 front Master Cylinder.

1970? Honda Z50... gone
    1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
    1974 Honda CB200... gone
    1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
    1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
    2008 Honda VTX 1800F
    1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

bike looks great, now you can just enjoy the ride!
    1979 XS1100SF 37000km
    Green Dyna Coils
    Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
    kevXS

Comment

No wonder I cant find any parts for my XJ's everyones using them on their XS's.

(Just kidding)

Bike looks great.
      Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
      80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
      82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
      82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
      82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
      72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
      72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

I bought my bike with the XJ pipes on it and I like 'em. Burly but not obnoxious.
        1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Working...
        X