Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you done after the carb's are cleaned ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you done after the carb's are cleaned ???

Maby not!! I dont know if this has been covered befor, but here is my two cent's worth.
    After spending two week's in Cozumel, on vacation, I am back into working on my bike. Riding "scooters" down there really lit my fire to get my bike going.
    My "gift" 1981 Special had been sitting for a few years with bad gas in the tank.I have the carb's apart, and mostly clean.While I was debating about if they were ready to go back together yet(I have only cleaned, and blown them out, 10 times now)I decided to rebuild the fuel "octapus" and petcock's.
    What a mess I found!! I soaked all the parts, and scrubbed them clean, but I could never get all the crud out of the screens on the petcock's.As the main fuel pickup is on the top of the tower's, I was concerned about getting them clean.Then I noticed you could remove the top's on the filter's, and clean them with long handle "Q tip's".I used two very thin flat jewlers screwdriver's to pry the sides out below the cap, then "poped" the cap's off.The cap's are held on by four little bump's on the cap's that fit into holes in the filter towers.(Be carefull !!)I really got a bunch of crud out of them.Then I used 22cal nylon gun cleaning brushes to clean out all the holes and passages.I think I got it all.You can see the cotten part of the "Q Tip" is all the way through the filter and into the valve assembly in the last picture.I also had to modify the diaphram in the K&L kit for the vacume shutoff to work correctly on the octupus.
    *************************SPLASH******************
    Last edited by POOLBOY; 02-21-2004, 02:44 PM.
    "BIG JOHNSON"
    1981 XS1100SH
    FINISHED,READY TO RIDE

Are you done after the cleaning?

Only in a perfect world my friend. Then you get to try to get it to start, then smooth it out and tweek it, and, and , and...Life as you know it with an XS will just be starting....

Comment

Working...
    X