Custom carb synch tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom carb synch tool

Not sure where this goes so i posted it here...i dont like the sych gauges that are available, one for the price but two for the metal housing, so i made my own...i got some vacuum gauges from a company on ebay, they installed an orifice to thread in adaptors, i believe i paid around 27 for them, then got brass elbow and barb fittings from lowes, used a piece of wood, hole-sawed it, painted it, and finally installed the gauges into the holes using black rtv...i believe i paid around 40 for it all...not bad if i do say so myself...if any of yall are interested i can dig up the seller....

79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

04 Buell XB12R "Butterfly"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
    Moto Militia MC

Thats pretty awesome. I'm all about DIY. I need to sync my carbs but I really dont feel like coughing up all that cash. I might resort to something like this. Have you tried it out yet?

1978 XS1100E

Dyna Coils
    K&N Filter
    16'' Rear Wheel
    4-1 Exhaust
    Kerker Muffler
    Firestone Deluxe Champion Tires
    Custom Seat and Fender

Comment

Here's one for even less money....

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=986

... and works just fine...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

1 yardstick and 12 feet of clear tubing works for me! Attach the tubing to yardstick with zip ties making a U. Fill with ATF so both sides are 1 foot of red fluid.

Hook up to sync ports on 2 carbs and go crazy.

Double the fun if you want to do all 4 at the same time.

Total cost? About 7 bux. Works AWESOME!
        1) Fire up Internet Explorer
        2) http://www.yahoo.com
        3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
        4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Comment

I never was fond of all that tubing to make the manometer type. Seems like you would be wrestlign wiht an octopus by the time you get the things synched.

I made the setup that NB shows in that tech tip. Never could find a fishtank valve that worked for crap, so I just moved the vacuum line from carb to carb. For the vacuum gage I used my Mity-vac. Bought it for bleeding the rear brakes on these beast, found alot of uses for it since.

After a few years of fusing that setup I did pony up for the Morgan Carbtune. I find the Morgan setup is alot nicer, quicker to use. And to be honest I would say the results are a little better. IMHO, if you synch using the setup that NB shows, or the way I did it, your bike will run decent and not cause you any problems. I just find my idle is a little smoother after I got the Morgan piece.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by airborneXS View Post
            Not sure where this goes so i posted it here...i dont like the sych gauges that are available, one for the price but two for the metal housing, so i made my own...i got some vacuum gauges from a company on ebay, they installed an orifice to thread in adaptors, i believe i paid around 27 for them, then got brass elbow and barb fittings from lowes, used a piece of wood, hole-sawed it, painted it, and finally installed the gauges into the holes using black rtv...i believe i paid around 40 for it all...not bad if i do say so myself...if any of yall are interested i can dig up the seller....

Looks good, did you have to solder the nds up and drill a very small hole (number drill) to reduce needle bounce?
            1970? Honda Z50... gone
            1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
            1974 Honda CB200... gone
            1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
            1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
            2008 Honda VTX 1800F
            1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
            1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

no i used vacuum line and 1/4" plastic open close valve from lowes to slow the bounce as much as i want...works great...just like the expensive professional model for half the price...plus the wood housing wont scratch anything....
              79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
              Moto Militia MC

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post

I made that one Steve, but I could never get it to work properly so i wound up making the Octopus. Works well on both bikes, and cost me about 12 bucks .
                Would post a pic but Photobucket is out for maintenance at the moment so i cant access them.

Yours looks good Airborne.
                1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

i appreciate it...im striving to do as much custom work and different **** to this bike as I can...i havent seen too many out there, and none in my area yet, so its already different...lol

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

Wolf
                  Moto Militia MC

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post

I did one like that as well, with a twist....

'78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

well i spoke too soon. I cant get these gauges to read anything. Im pretty sure I got everything hooked up properly, ive got each gauge connected to the fitting on the carbs, using vacuum line with a 1/4" plastic sprinkler valve to limit the pulses. I dont know if I got the wrong type of gauges or if these just dont work in general. these are what i got. any ideas?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOSHOK-2-5-D...item562cb57c13

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

Wolf
                      Moto Militia MC

Comment

well i spoke too soon. I cant get these gauges to read anything. Im pretty sure I got everything hooked up properly, ive got each gauge connected to the fitting on the carbs, using vacuum line with a 1/4" plastic sprinkler valve to limit the pulses. I dont know if I got the wrong type of gauges or if these just dont work in general. these are what i got. any ideas?

IDK how much vacuum the carbs usually pull but I dont think it is very much. These gauges likely have way too large of a range you need. According to the auction/product info:

Working Pressure Limitations

1. Dynamic Pressure
                        The working pressure should be limited to 60% of the dial range.
                        2. Static Pressure
                        The working pressure, where no sharp fluctuations occur, should be limited to 90% of the dial range.

So, unless you are pulling about 9 psi they are wrong for this application (60% of 15psi dial range).
                        Last edited by WMarshy; 07-19-2012, 09:22 PM.
                        '79 XS11 F
                        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I looked at the ebay add link you posted and those are pressure gauges and not vacuum gauges.
                          '79 XS11SF

Comment

Originally posted by trdriver71 View Post
                            I looked at the ebay add link you posted and those are pressure gauges and not vacuum gauges.
                            Yep, that was my next thought... they are pressure gauges not vacuum.

Try these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARSH-G23624...item27c905d7b1
                            Last edited by WMarshy; 07-19-2012, 09:35 PM.
                            '79 XS11 F
                            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I love mine

I love my sync tool, it works great and I had almost everything I needed already.

Scott
                              1979 XS1100F
                              1978 R100S BMW

Comment

Working...
                              X