Electrical question - again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical question - again!

Hello once again. After several weeks of starting and running well, the bike as once again decided not to start - obviously it is toying with me like a cat with a mouse!

Doing a bit of troubleshooting, I came upon a scenario I figured I should ask all you smart folks about. With the large plug removed from the TCI, I did some checking of continuity (I didn't get into any ohms readings, just connection or not. With one side of the meter grounded to the frame, I get a continuity reading to ground at the TCI plug for all the connectors, except the black and white (to the emergeny stop switch) which is open, as it should be. Should all the other connection points to the TCI be showing a path to ground??? When you move the stop switch on the right handle bar to the off position, the continuity at the TCI plugs goes to open on the connection to the TCI.

Being no electrical genius (as you can tell), it was wondering if what I am seeing is normal or do I have a major ground someplace?

As always - any insights greatly appreciated!

Keith

Keith
    Current:
    1979 XS11F - "Sigmund"
    1975 Triumph T150V - "Ralph"
    1975 Honda CB125S - "Blue" - built for my daughter to learn on.
    1983 Kawasaki GPZ 550 - yet another bike that needs me! It followed me home...

Previous:
    1975 Norton Commando
    1969 Triumph Tiger 650
    2002 Yamaha YZ250F

I wouldn't take anything out of that test... There's a specific test procedure for the TCI (different voltages at different pinouts), you're likely just reading though the circuitry...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

To test for continuity and stg's you need to isolate the wires by disconnecting the wire your trying to tread at all connectors not just the one.
      USMC 2005 - Present

79 XS1100F -Mileage unknown - Clubman bars, aftermarket headlight and speedometer, 4 into 1 straight through exhaust, TopCat's fuse box, 1980G rear fender - Daily driver - My first Motorcycle
      78 XS1100E - Rebuilt And Sold I SHOULD OF KEPT IT!!!

Comment

Electrical Problem again

Thanks for the info - does anyone have what the readings should be at various points? Would help with deciding what is right and what is less than right!

Keith
        Current:
        1979 XS11F - "Sigmund"
        1975 Triumph T150V - "Ralph"
        1975 Honda CB125S - "Blue" - built for my daughter to learn on.
        1983 Kawasaki GPZ 550 - yet another bike that needs me! It followed me home...

Previous:
        1975 Norton Commando
        1969 Triumph Tiger 650
        2002 Yamaha YZ250F

Comment

Working...
        X