Aftermarket mirrors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket mirrors?

Hi, the original mirrors on my bike were damaged (and they just looked old) I know i can buy the round ones with plastic backing like the originals on ebay but i want a diferent look. does anyone know where i can go to get some nice looking aftermarket mirrors, preferably ones that are smaller, but still functional.

Is it a 10mm thread?

Any input would be awesome. thanks. My bike is coming along well, but as i've been told many times before the details make the project.

Hi there, you can get mirrors from any aftermarket catalogue. Yours are 10 mm, but one side, I think the left, has a left-handed thread. What ever set you order, see if they list mirrors for Yamaha, they will have one with left-hand thread. Or you can buy a left to right thread adapter piece, but it will raise one mirror about an inch and a half. The early 11specials have nice short rectangular mirrors. Maybe you can find a set on ebay. They are very nice looking mirrors, Rover
    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
    79 F (Blueballs)
    79 SF (Redbutt)
    81 LH (organ donor)
    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
    rover has spoken

Comment

thats exactly what i needed to know, 10mm with a reverse thread. I do like those little rectangular mirrors on the early models. EMGO offers a reproduction that looks ok. I'm finding some on ebay from newer yamaha models that look great. I think i'll get chrome tapered mirrors, like those on a mid 90's V-max.

thank you, now i can go out and spend more money i should be saving. This little restoration project is so involving its all i seem to think about anymore. what parts do i need to purchase next, what can i re-paint, and repair.

thanks agian.

Comment

mirrors

I'm a big fan of bar end mirrors. They seem to vibrate less and put your line of vision further outboard for a better view behind. Available lots of places I'm sure, I know Dennis Kirk has em.
        Miles to Go, Fuel to Burn

Comment

I'm a fan of the teardrop mirrors that Yamaha uses for their cruisers (possibly the same as on the Vmax). They look especially good on specials. Several aftermarket suppliers make them.
          Robert
          79 SF

Comment

I bought a set of rectangular mirrors from a motorcycle accessory shop (Cycle Gear) for less than $20. Looks like a direct replacement to the mirror that was on my bike. I don't know if I had an original or not.

Doug

Comment

I bought a set of black rectangular mirrors from a local bike shop in rockford IL. the names cycletech, great place. for 30 bucks it was a deal, they funtion great, but look kind of bulky. I'm a new rider, so i welcome any safety feature i can find. when work picks up i want to get those tapered chrome ones. (for around 40-100+depending on where you go)

Comment

I have a little problem concerning ordering mirrors.See the bike is a yamaha but the front master cylinder is off a honda.How would I order a set? I fixed my front brake problem but my mirrors don`t match.I like to be able to see what is trying to sneak up on me so both need to come out futher.Haven`t tryed any bar ends if they would work better I would be willing to try them.What would be better? Thanks
                Bill Harvell

Comment

Bill, both the Honda and the Yamaha have 10mm threads for the mirrors. One side of the Yamaha has left-hand threads. I am not sure which one it is, but I think it is the left mirror. Check the one on your left handlebar, if it has left hand thread, then any regular Yamaha set will work. If the thread on the left side is right-handed, then ANY 10 mm set will work. I have found that the stock rectangular mirrors on the early 11 specials give excellent coverage to the rear. Whitney and Dennis Kirk have look-alike replacements.
                  Almost any aftermarket mirrors will give good rear vision, but be aware that the cheaper models swivel very easily and do not like to stay in adjustment. I have never had a set of bar-ends, but I hear they really give a wide rear view. I kept away from them, cause I think they are too low for my liking, but that is an uneducated opinion, as I have never tried them. Happy hunting, Rover
                  79 F (Blueballs)
                  79 SF (Redbutt)
                  81 LH (organ donor)
                  rover has spoken

Comment

Just an additional note,

Some really cheap ones don't do a very good job of insulating the mirror from the engine vibrations and can actually be difficult to see much very far behind you because the image is so blurred due to the vibrations! The EMGO ones seem to be decent for the low end brand, found in JCW and bike shops!

I don't like the idea of the end bar mirrors cause it makes the bike that much wider, more of a possibility of hitting something or someone with them, and harder to get/fit thru small spaces, ie. in between parked/stopped cars, etc!!

I prefer the rectangular ones cause bike mirrors aren't like car mirrors with a slight bend in the face you find on the passenger right side ones, so you don't get that extra wide view, so the wider the mirror, the more area you can see!

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

If I`m not mistaken isn`t the right side where the threads are reversed on a yamaha?The stock right mirror will not fit because the threads are reversed.Couldn`t I get a set for a Honda or whatever and both would fit.The front master cylinder on the bike is off of a Honda and the Yamaha mirror will not work.Something I`am going to do later. Thanks
                      Bill Harvell

Comment

Sorry, Bill, I wasn't sure which mirror had the revrese thread. You are right, it is the right one that has it, so BOTH your mirror mounts are 10 mm right hand thread. ANY aftermarket or stock other than Yamaha will fit. Sorry about the mistake. Rover
                        79 F (Blueballs)
                        79 SF (Redbutt)
                        81 LH (organ donor)
                        rover has spoken

Comment

I swapped the round still mirrorson my xs650 with rectanglar ones I got of ebay like rectangular ones better the stick out farther and give a wider field of view. I think the round ones I had were cheap replacments they vibrated a lot and wouldn't hold adjustment, the new ones were and are a lot better.

I just went out and checked it's my right hand mirror with the left hand thread so I think you should order the style you want for Honda etc that way the threads will be correct. I probably want to check'em first though just to make sure.
                          Russ Neal
                          Milton, NH
                          04 GL1800 ABS
                          04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
                          99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
                          80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
                          83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
                          80 XS1100G(Sold)
                          81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by eltoroloco
                            when work picks up i want to get those tapered chrome ones. (for around 40-100+depending on where you go)
                            I ordered mine from Chaparral Motorsports and am very happy with them. They were "American Chrome" and about $20-25 each.
                            Robert
                            79 SF

Comment

I bought replacement mirrors from: www.650motorcycles.com/mikesxs.html

Set of 2 Mirrors:
                              Part# 16-3010
                              $16.00/set XS Special "square" Mirror - OEM # 2G2/4M4-26290-00 Chrome Set L&R

Adaptor to use right hand thread of right side:
                              Part# 16-3001
                              $4.00/set Mirror Adaptor Set - 10mm. adaptor for Left hand threads, allows use of all conventional mirrors on Yamahas (Yamahas have LH thread on one side)

Check out the site while you are there. Although he sells parts for the XS650s, you will find tons of parts that will work on the XS11s.
                              Bill Murrin
                              Nashville, TN
                              1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
                              1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
                              2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
                              2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
                              1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
                              2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Working...
                              X