Cheap eBay big bore kit or used jugs and pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap eBay big bore kit or used jugs and pistons

I want to know what everyone here thinks. I'm gonna be taking my motor appart and want to know what everyone thinks. Should I buy the cheap big bore kit from Japan on eBay for 150, or buy used jugs and pistons?

Keep in mind you'll have the expense of having the cylinders bored for that kit, so add another $100 give or take to it's cost.

Done right, the big bore kit will be good.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I'm afraid that kit is no good. I have a real good machine shop close. Can any good shop do the boring or do I need to take it somewhere that specializes in boring out engines

Comment

Are the cylinders worn or are you just thinking the bigger bore will give you bigger power?
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I dont know for sure yet but I think the cylinder could be damaged. I would like more power but I don't think the big bore will make so so much difference. It's just if I'm gonna spend the time to go into it and with the kit being 150 bucks that I should do it.

Comment

I dont know what "quality" looks like but if you like I can post pictures of the set I ordered, they look nice. I dont have any good machinist tools but if I did I could measure the OD to see any variation in size. Other than that your left with x-ray to see if there is any voids in the casting to determine quality...

If you are really in need of the kit (even if your not) and are short on money this seems like the way to go. Last I checked on ebay, the cheapest Wesico kit was ~$550.
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
              I dont know what "quality" looks like but if you like I can post pictures of the set I ordered, they look nice.
              Please post some pics ! Underside photo of the piston as well as the first/second ring face's if you don't mind .

Did you see any letters like < ART > underneath the piston top and do the wrist pins move through the pin bosses freely?

Sorry for the hijack --- just that i am interested in a set as well.
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G
              2007 GSX1300R
              2007 CB900F with full tilt engine
              A couple Suzuki T500's

Comment

My wife gave me the money to order one of those kits as my birthday present so I'd be interested in seeing better pictures and hearing the groups input as well.
                1979 xs1100 Special -
                Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                My Bike:
                [link is broken]

Comment

'79 XS11 F
                  Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                  Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

'79 XS11 F
                    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                    Stock, no title.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHC View Post
                      Please post some pics ! Underside photo of the piston as well as the first/second ring face's if you don't mind .

Did you see any letters like < ART > underneath the piston top and do the wrist pins move through the pin bosses freely?

Sorry for the hijack --- just that i am interested in a set as well.
                      No hijacking here that I can see... the wrist pins slide in nice and tight. Nothing I can see resembles ART... Let me know if you would like a different angle or close up...
                      Last edited by WMarshy; 07-12-2012, 07:55 PM.
                      '79 XS11 F
                      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                      Stock, no title.

Comment

I see 3H5 stamped on the pistons. Are these for use only with the 80-82 head?
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I don't think it will be a problem. I have been in a discussion (sort of) with another member about that very thing.

I think that the later pistons will work just fine, in fact increase compression and power, with the later head.

Waiting to hear back about his measurements as to piston/head clearances. I cant see where the smaller early intake valves would create a valve/piston clearance problem.
                          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                            I see 3H5 stamped on the pistons. Are these for use only with the 80-82 head?
                            From what the seller told me, these pistons were made to replicate the later 80-82 piston profile...

Greg, please share all/any info when it comes available. My ultimate goal is to use these with either some Web or Meglacycle cams and it would be nice to know what the clearance is with stock cams before making the dive into the deep end.
                            '79 XS11 F
                            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                            Stock, no title.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                              I don't think it will be a problem. I have been in a discussion (sort of) with another member about that very thing.

I think that the later pistons will work just fine, in fact increase compression and power, with the later head.

Waiting to hear back about his measurements as to piston/head clearances. I cant see where the smaller early intake valves would create a valve/piston clearance problem.
                              I meant to say EARLIER HEAD.....dammit.

I think he will pipe in soon.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X