XJ computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ computer

Looking at my wiring diagram, it shows just about everything going through or into the "computer monitor" Is this the LCD screen on the gauge set? Does the XJ have a central computer?I have some electrical glitches I am trying to solve and need clarification. The warning system does not go through any "system check" cycle, my gas gauge does not show anything, and the screen goes blank whenever I apply the brakes. In order to get my tail light to work, I had to splice into the blue wire before it got to the "computer monitor" because it was going in, but not coming out. Any thoughts?
    "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Originally posted by XJkid View Post
    Looking at my wiring diagram, it shows just about everything going through or into the "computer monitor" Is this the LCD screen on the gauge set? Does the XJ have a central computer?...
    ....Any thoughts?
    Yes, that LCD screen is the 'computer monitor' or at least part of it. No, you don't have a 'computer'; that simply takes inputs from various places (mostly open/close switches) then displays the info. There is a troubleshooting guide in the service manual, but that consists mainly of checking the various connections to make sure they're good and if they are then replace the monitor...

About all you can do is check all the connections/switches, make sure you have the correct wattage lamps installed everywhere, all as per the guide, if that doesn't clear the problem you're looking for another gauge set....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Rats! Thanx so much.
      "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

Working...
      X